Cheapest way to ship car

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to get a car shipped less then 600 miles, and I wanted to know what's the cheapest (company) way to get it shipped.

I was thinking about driving myself, but I want to avoid that if I can.

Please let me know
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

600 miles is really not that far, but I'd use Dependable Auto Shippers if you insist on shipping it.

I shipped my Land Cruiser from Ca to Chicago (terminal to terminal) without their insurance (I have my own) for under 800 bucks.

A friend of mine did the same and his was only 600 bucks because he had a much smaller and lighter car.

Members don't see this ad :)
ROAD TRIP!!!

Seriously. I think you'll need a few tanks of gas ($100) and some money for mad snacks. I recommend SLURPEE, MR. PIBB and RED VINES. Maybe some RITZ and EASY CHEESE if you need something with more "substance."

Have fun.

jackieMD2007 said:
ROAD TRIP!!!

Seriously. I think you'll need a few tanks of gas ($100) and some money for mad snacks. I recommend SLURPEE, MR. PIBB and RED VINES. Maybe some RITZ and EASY CHEESE if you need something with more "substance."

Have fun.

and lots of clean underwear...you'll see why

jackieMD2007 said:
I think you'll need a few tanks of gas ($100)

with light sweet crude where it's at, you'd be lucky to get a few thimbles full of gas for $100...it costs about $100 to get from san francisco to berkeley - especially if you're driving a landcruiser (with its 25 gal tank) like one of the previous posters.

actually, considering that a barrel of crude is 42 gals, you'd need about $80 before you even refine it into gasoline. God Bless America.

that's like less than 10 hrs

it's gonna be a fun drive
roadtrip!

For FOCKS SAKE, trust me you do not want to deal with shipping a car.
Learn from someone who has tried to do this. It is not worth the trouble. Drive the damn thing.

narc said:
Learn from someone who has tried to do this. It is not worth the trouble. Drive the damn thing.
Agreed. Seriously. :scared:

narc said:

What did I just say about SLURPEE and NACHOS? Hello. Road Trip. There is no other way. And then tell the adcoms of your roadtrip awesomeness. :thumbup:

600 miles isn't a road trip. You must have 1000+ to make it a road trip.

Okay, agreed Zach. But a mini-roadtrip. With snacks. And ipod. It could be fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're sending it up and/or down the East Coast, there's the Amtrak Autotrain, but I'm pretty sure that's a ride-along setup. And, it's Amtrak so it will break down a couple times along the way. Are you going to the same place as the car or staying where you are and sending the car unaccompanied?

jackieMD2007 said:
Okay, agreed Zach. But a mini-roadtrip. With snacks. And ipod. It could be fun.

haha i hope you dont mean having headphones on while driving

EASY CHEESE if you need something with more "substance."

I believe 'substance' is the correct word.....mainly because that stuff nor any of its components has ever seen a cow, this much I am nearly certain of. :laugh:

newdude said:
I need to get a car shipped less then 600 miles, and I wanted to know what's the cheapest (company) way to get it shipped.

Please let me know
Thank you

jus git yerself a chain down at th home depo and git'r done!

jackieMD2007 said:
ROAD TRIP!!!

Have fun.

nonesense. surely you mean COW TAILS and COKE?

Doctor~Detroit said:
nonesense. surely you mean COW TAILS and COKE?
I'm going to have to agree with Detroit on this one. :thumbup:

Railway is by far the cheapest if you don't want to drive that distance yourself.

Go to http://www.transportreviews.com/. Most comprehensive website (and highly used) of all the companies out there. I personally went with 1st Call Auto Haul (http://www.1stcallautohaul.com/) because they were so efficient. They picked up my car the very next day, shipped it from Los Angeles to Baltimore within 6 days and were extremely responsive. Be way of extremely cheap quotes; often times the companies have you on hold to get your car shipped for days, and if you have a time constraint (like I did), it becomes pretty frustrating.

ablumoon said:
Go to http://www.transportreviews.com/. Most comprehensive website (and highly used) of all the companies out there. I personally went with 1st Call Auto Haul (http://www.1stcallautohaul.com/) because they were so efficient. They picked up my car the very next day, shipped it from Los Angeles to Baltimore within 6 days and were extremely responsive. Be way of extremely cheap quotes; often times the companies have you on hold to get your car shipped for days, and if you have a time constraint (like I did), it becomes pretty frustrating.

I agree I went with a cheap one before i found that review site. It was a pain in the ass. Trust me you def get what you pay for with these people.

If you have a piece of $hit car and dont mind what happens by all means, try to save a few bucks. :laugh:

DropkickMurphy said:
I believe 'substance' is the correct word.....mainly because that stuff nor any of its components has ever seen a cow, this much I am nearly certain of. :laugh:

Go easy...my grandpa was on the team that invented the stuff. :)

newdude said:

Please let me know
Thank you

For a 600 mile trip it's not worth the effort to find and deal with an auto transporter. If you're moving coast to coast it would be but bear in mind it'll be a lot faster to drive the car 600 miles, rent a car and drive 600 miles back if you needed to the following day. Total cost will be:

Gas there
One night in a hotel
Rental car cost/gas back

If you don't want to drive find a friend that's willing to do it for the cost of gas, food, housing and something extra. Or bring him along and make a road trip out of it.

www.movingscam.com has some information about auto transporters if you feel you absolutely must ship your car.

etf said:
with light sweet crude where it's at, you'd be lucky to get a few thimbles full of gas for $100...it costs about $100 to get from san francisco to berkeley - especially if you're driving a landcruiser (with its 25 gal tank) like one of the previous posters.

actually, considering that a barrel of crude is 42 gals, you'd need about $80 before you even refine it into gasoline. God Bless America.

That's why I shipped my Land Cruiser using dependable auto shippers. Cross country in that beast will cost me more in gas alone than it would to ship.

Now its waiting for me just outside of Chicago. I still need to rent a car, but I always get my money's worth after driving a rental... sometimes I am surprised they still run after I'm done with them.

600 miles is a real piece of cake. I've driven out to LA and back in a day for some car shows and never really put much thought in it. Definately get some 24oz Rockstars or RedBull energy drinks, if you are one of those "get tired quick types."

If you still want to ship it, because I know a lot of people are just not comfortable driving long distances, you need to ship it use DAS they are cheap and really reputable.

jackieMD2007 said:
ROAD TRIP!!!

Have fun.
Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious!