cheated on grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
wait for him to come back from vacation.
meet with him and ask to see your grades and how they were calculated.

if it turns out that you were shortchanged...then ask him to change it. If he refuses, go to the departmental head.

this semester, a professor cheated me on grades. i cant prove it, but im 99% sure.
iv got 97-100% on all the exams, and i did all the hw, and im pretty sure i did really well on the presentation, but i still ended up with an A-, when i asked him, he said i was .33% away from an A, which does not make sense. I asked him several times to tell me the grades he has documented for me, and he keeps beating around the bush, saying an A- isnt bad, and that he cant bump me up because its unfair, and a bunch of other bs. (this was through email btw)
what should i do?
hes out of town right now, so ill have to wait till he gets back to go to his office, but should i go to him, or should i just complain directly to the department head?
any one had any similar situations? how did u solve it?

I'm sorry that sucks. Unfortunately, grades really are up to the prof. If he gave you an A-, it's unlikely anyone else would "overrule" him on that (and the dept head probably can't anyway; it'd likely have to be a dean or the provost to override a professor's decision). Your only option really is to take it up with the professor. If he still refuses to give you an A, you probably just need to walk away from this in a dignified manner. Pushing this too far may cause FAR more damage than an A- could (esp. since an A- isn't going to cause any damage to begin with) through a loss of reputation in the dept resulting in poor or reserved LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I would make an appointment through email when he comes back. Ask him about it, but be polite and don't try to accuse him or be confrontational. Hope everything works out, and even if he won't change it, realize A- is still a very good grade.

I'm sorry that sucks. Unfortunately, grades really are up to the prof. If he gave you an A-, it's unlikely anyone else would "overrule" him on that (and the dept head probably can't anyway; it'd likely have to be a dean or the provost to override a professor's decision). Your only option really is to take it up with the professor. If he still refuses to give you an A, you probably just need to walk away from this in a dignified manner. Pushing this too far may cause FAR more damage than an A- could (esp. since an A- isn't going to cause any damage to begin with) through a loss of reputation in the dept resulting in poor or reserved LORs.

You have a Class Dean for a reason. Try talking to them. They will tell you if you have a case and if you do, they can probably help you. At my school at least, the department head switches every couple years because no one wants to be it and I doubt they will be as dedicated to helping you as a dean will.

Also, the dean is less likely to spread rumors around the department.

Everyone is correct in that it's really the prof's decision on this one. However, did he say what the curve was going to be like in the syllabus? If you know for a fact that 95+% should definitely be an A, then you have a case. Also, wait to go see him to make sure you just didn't make some gigantic careless error on your final exam or something. I'm pretty sure professors HAVE to tell you your score on your final if you ask for it....

He can't give you an A- if he's dead

...just sayin

Ask politely if you could be shown the grade breakdown when he comes back from vacation. Acknowledge that he must be busy and you apologize for any inconvenience your request may cause.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm going to meet with my instructor when they return from Vacation and we'll see what happens from there.

this semester, a professor cheated me on grades. i cant prove it, but im 99% sure.
iv got 97-100% on all the exams, and i did all the hw, and im pretty sure i did really well on the presentation, but i still ended up with an A-, when i asked him, he said i was .33% away from an A, which does not make sense. I asked him several times to tell me the grades he has documented for me, and he keeps beating around the bush, saying an A- isnt bad, and that he cant bump me up because its unfair, and a bunch of other bs. (this was through email btw)
what should i do?
hes out of town right now, so ill have to wait till he gets back to go to his office, but should i go to him, or should i just complain directly to the department head?
any one had any similar situations? how did u solve it?

Do you not know the exact grade on your presentation? Is is possible to calculate the final grade yourself and show the prof that you've done the number-crunching and that something isn't right? I think if you've earned an A, you should get an A. My school is A/B/C etc so getting the wrong grade is a big deal. I have had classes, though, where the prof has his/her own funky curved grading scale and you know something sketch is going on when the final grades come out.