• Forums Updates - Thursday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Thursday starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.
  • Seeking Outstanding Advisors
    If you have benefited from an amazing advisor, nominate them for the 2024 Advisor of the Year Award! Accepting nominations now through March 31st.

Cheating in dental school -- revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12YearOldKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard this second-hand so I may not have it quite right, but I heard an incredible story about NOVA today. Maybe some of you NOVA students can give us the whole scoop.

Apparently there was some academic dishonesty going on in the pre-clinic endo labs. Some students were importing radiographs into the computers and Photoshopping out voids, files extending out the apex on working length films, etc... Students were also doing things to their teeth prior to mounting them that were not allowed.

The faculty found out about it and gave the students 1 week to confess if they had been involved. Some of the students confessed and were given some form of punishment. After 1 week the faculty sectioned EVERY tooth that had been turned in and compared it to radiographs. They examined both teeth and radiographs for evidence of tampering.

If there was evidence of cheating the student was automatically failed and will have to repeat the class next year. Nearly every student who didn't confess was failed. A few students were even expelled. They are thinking that the majority of the class won't graduate on time.

Nova students, Fact or Fiction?

Members don't see this ad.

wow, what a incredible story. Where is Yah-E when you need him

Blackstars said:
wow, what a incredible story. Where is Yah-E when you need him
He had been expelled. Words on the street was that he started the whole thing! You have to give those Nova students the credit for being original though!

Members don't see this ad :)
lnn2 said:
He had been expelled. Words on the street was that he started the whole thing!

I did get expelled from the Endo department (always wanted to be an Endodontist!) and that is why I'm now pursuing OMFS! :laugh: :rolleyes:

I'll plead the fifth on the OP's question.

Yah-E said:
I did get expelled from the Endo department (always wanted to be an Endodontist!) and that is why I'm now pursuing OMFS! :laugh: :rolleyes:

Yah-e Which one are you and decepticon or autobot?

HD

Man cartoons in the 80's rocked, especially GI joes and Transformers

hockeydentist said:
Yah-e Which one are you and decepticon or autobot?

HD

Man cartoons in the 80's rocked, especially GI joes and Transformers

I've always liked the transformer toys from Decepticons better, but those Dinobots rock too!

I was going to use the Cobra logo from G.I.Joe as my new avatar!

Thunder, Thunder, Thunder Cats.....HOOOOOOOOOOOEE! :laugh:

Yah-E said:

Plead the fifth? If telling us what did/didn't happen would incriminate you, I think we'd all be even more interested than before. ;)

they have digital radiography?! i'm so envious. on a side note, that's a pretty elaborate scheme if it's true.

You obviously know what I'm talking about, Yah-E, so I can't be too far off. Are you just gonna leave us hanging like that, man? :D

oh i heard about this thing abt nova too i have a friend who is in the same class and from what i heard there are 30 something students who got letters and has to go in front of a committee.... i dont think they have kicked out any students yet....

Yah-E said:

Don't be girlie man, tell us what you know.

dr. princess said:
oh i heard about this thing abt nova too i have a friend who is in the same class and from what i heard there are 30 something students who got letters and has to go in front of a committee.... i dont think they have kicked out any students yet....
WOW! what a shame! The Nova Admin. sure knew how to pick students! I bet that those students won't be applying for Endo residency. They'll refer out all of rct cases, including anterior rct to an endondontist!