cheating in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
one of my classmates just told me that another one of our classmates (first year) was caught trying to video tape an old exam in preparation for our cumulative final!

even though it wasn't "cheating" on an exam, it still seems dishonest. how do you think the academic review board should deal with him?

the axe, i say!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

What do you mean "video-tape" an old exam? Was he trying to view previous exams of the class? At my school, old "test files" are routinely traded/sold. First year's buy them from second year's. It is a file of all the first year tests given. We always found them invaluable to help study. Do you study them soley? No, for you will surely fail that way. But it is an accepted practice, that the profs know about.

Billie

At my school old tests are contraband. We can't even view our tests after we take them unless we failed the exam. They say that having copies of old exams is considered cheating. I thought that was pretty silly, but I guess they feel as though the questions they currently use go directly to the heart of what they want us to know, and they don't want to write any new ones.

I do not see the problem if your school allowes teh review of old tests, but I assume its not teh case in your school. My opinion then he/she must be kicked out. They do it in Law Schools (honor code-lawyers don't cheat) and I do not see teh reason why doctors can.