Cheating on the Dental Admission Test DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1957user

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My neighbors son was caught cheating on the dental admission test (DAT). The whole situation is very sad, I don't know the details but the family has hired a lawyer. Question: Is there any chance the son will ever be admitted to Dental school even if he retakes the test and passes? (he was thinking University of Louisville Dental School) How long does he have to wait until he can retake the test after having been caught cheating?

Members don't see this ad.

puahahaha....."friend?"

No chance in hell. 86'd from dental school for life.

Reactions: 1 user
My neighbors son was caught cheating on the dental admission test (DAT). The whole situation is very sad, I don't know the details but the family has hired a lawyer. Question: Is there any chance the son will ever be admitted to Dental school even if he retakes the test and passes? (he was thinking University of Louisville Dental School) How long does he have to wait until he can retake the test after having been caught cheating?
Depends on how good of a lawyer he has! :laugh:
After all OJ's lawyer got him out! Maybe your "friend" should look him up and give him a call.
The simple answer is, however, NO! He probably doesn't have a chance and he shouldn't. You see all these hardworking students busting their ass trying to study 6-7 hours a day to ace that exam, and all the sudden this guy decides he wants to get in by cheating?
Maybe he should rethink his career choice! Shoplifting comes to mind!

Now I'm curious, do you mind telling us how he was caught cheating? Like what was it specifically?

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I'm curious, do you mind telling us how he was caught cheating? Like what was it specifically?

I'm guessing it was something like he/she "going to the bathroom" during the middle of a section, to look over notes that he/she had in his/her pocket.

Depends on how good of a lawyer he has! :laugh:
After all OJ's lawyer got him out! Maybe your "friend" should look him up and give him a call.
The simple answer is, however, NO! He probably doesn't have a chance and he shouldn't. You see all these hardworking students busting their ass trying to study 6-7 hours a day to ace that exam, and all the sudden this guy decides he wants to get in by cheating?
Maybe he should rethink his career choice! Shoplifting comes to mind!

Funny thing is, OJ's lawyer is dead.

Be fair, he never said that it was his "friend." At least he's a little more original.

I have nothing but contempt for this cheater, and there is no f**king way in hell that he can get into dental schools again, let alone all the other professional schools.

Does he live in KY? I was trying to get into U of L myself.

It is a pretty sad situation if he got caught cheating, considering how strict they are about you not taking anything into the room. Also, there is this camera right there staring at you the entire time you're taking the exam. If he did somehow cheat, he deserves to not get in.

Why is looking at material in the bathroom, or anywhere, after a section considered cheating? The sections are done and you can't go back and correct it. I don't think it makes alot of sense, if you don't know it by that time the extra 5 min on the crapper isn't gonna do much good.

Why is looking at material in the bathroom, or anywhere, after a section considered cheating? The sections are done and you can't go back and correct it. I don't think it makes alot of sense, if you don't know it by that time the extra 5 min on the crapper isn't gonna do much good.

Maybe he went to check in the middle of the section.. i mean u can get up and take a break any time u want.

soo stupid.... even if he got into dental school he wouldnt survive the course load. Im glad he got caught!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only is "his" chance at Dental school shot, I think "his" chance at ANY professional school is done for. Unless "he" somehow hides this incident from the other professional schools. Then again, "he" is gonna have to live in fear every day for the rest of "his" life knowing that "he" could get kicked out of school if anyone finds out later on. Or even worse, get "his" degree revoked 10 years down the road :scared:

maybe that person had a hidden camera with speakers on his/her ears while taking the test.!!!!!!??? or had his/her twin sist/bro to take the test .....!!!

he still has a chance. get plastic surgery, change his name and ssn, and find a way to change his fingerprints and apply again. i think its pretty common these days :thumbup:

hmmm...wow; 3 or 4 cameras pointing on you, you'd think you'd take the hint! thats risky business people!...thing is - you cant cheat when ur taking out 4/3rds, or doing an osteotomy....or an alveoplasty...ouch...

unfortunately, im sure this kid will now get doubted by everyone, forever, in professional schools across the playing field....keep in mind that dental schools do definitely contact other deparments/schools in medical centers!!!

oofta..best of luck to him...glad he won't be my dentist anytime soon to be honest...not to sound mean...but that's pretty unethical..if one is willing to shoot so low at this point in the career, i don't think the next few shots could be any higher...:(

I think the best career choice for cheaters is business. Im not taking a shot at business majors. u can be in business and not be educated.

This thread has turned into a "smack the alleged" cheater, whom everyone assumes is the OP in the first place, but really, I think we need to know a little more about the situation before we place judgment.

First of all, one person's definition of "cheating" may be just slightly different than anothers. For example, what if all he did to "cheat" was to touch the screen? Sure, it may be against the rules, but frankly I can't remember anywhere that it said you couldn't (Maybe on ADA website?) What if the proctor just had a really crappy day and was in a pissy mood, just wanting to write someone up?

Just watched a 60 minutes where the juror "knew the alleged person was guilty" because of how he was "crying", she said "He didn't even shed a tear". Now, I didn't hear all of the evidence, but that was what her reply was when the reporter asked her why she thought he was guilty.

My point is, if this person was caught cheating, and it should be relatively easy to prove with 3 cameras, proctors, etc...then they should obviously not be allowed into professional school, where ethics are a HUGE part of everyday life. However, let's not all assume it was the OP, and not his "neighbor" "nephew", or ""friend"" as someone in a recent post put it, and just try to contribute thoughtful, direct replies.

I don't know any details, all I've heard is that he was caught cheating. I think his GF told a friend (i.e. rumors only) I am certainly not going to ask about it, the family is a prominent family in a small community in the Midwest. It might have been a test procedure mistake or it might be a full blown intentional cheat. The question remains: Can he retake the test after having been caught cheating ( be it a minor unintentional procedure mistake or a full blown intentional cheat). How long must he wait? Will it be worth it, if no Dental school will even look at him now?

Asking an awful lot of questions for something that happend to a "neighbor's son." :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyways, it's the end. Unless "he" can build a dental clinic in a Cambodian jungle with his bare hands and a single piece of Chinese steel it's over.

Asking an awful lot of questions for something that happend to a "neighbor's son." :laugh::laugh::laugh:

DUDE - i was going to type this SAME COMMENT and looked and you said it...1 minute before me...wow thats CRAZY lol

only i was going to add - Why is asking this across the boards so important if "you certainly are not going to ask him about it".....what good will it be to know all of our advice if it will never get to him anyways!!!

I think the best career choice for cheaters is business. Im not taking a shot at business majors. u can be in business and not be educated.

depends on your definition of "educated." A lot of businessmen maybe cant tell the difference between a femur and a sternum, but they sure know how to survive in the real world better than 90% of the doctors out there.

I'd say the most successful business people out there are much, MUCH smarter than the most successful doctors/dentists (although the majority of the later are also business people themselves...). It's takes MUCH much more "intelligence" to work in the business field than it does in the medical field. One is pure straight forward memorization, the other you have to think on your feet every day and actualy UTILIZE all you've learned.

depends on your definition of "educated." A lot of businessmen maybe cant tell the difference between a femur and a sternum, but they sure know how to survive in the real world better than 90% of the doctors out there.

I'd say the most successful business people out there are much, MUCH smarter than the most successful doctors/dentists (although the majority of the later are also business people themselves...). It's takes MUCH much more "intelligence" to work in the business field than it does in the medical field. One is pure straight forward memorization, the other you have to think on your feet every day and actualy UTILIZE all you've learned.

You don't think doctors think on their feet when they make patient diagnoses? That's the definition of utilizing all you've learned!

Are you kidding me? If you were intelligent, you would not make such ridiculous comparisons. You think you know everything. You don't know anything.

People who go to business school or those that are in business? Also, who do you mean by "the most successful business people?" The rest of your second paragraph is just plain wrong. If you don't get what I'm leading to with these two questions, then try this: A is a subset of C. A is smarter the B. Does that mean C is smarter than B also? Sounds like that is what you are saying.

People who go to business school or those that are in business? Also, who do you mean by "the most successful business people?" The rest of your second paragraph is naive and myopic. If you don't get what I'm leading to with these two questions, then try this: A is a subset of C. A is greater the B. Does that mean C is greater than B? Sounds like that is what you are saying.

You don't think doctors think on their feet when they make patient diagnoses? That's the definition of utilizing all you've learned!

LOL. I can't believe you're comparing making a diagnosis to making business decisions. How hard is it to make a diagnosis? OK, give me symptoms. Let me compare that to a list I have. Compare that to decisions people who work on wall street and and own their own businesses. It's no contest. Medicine is standardized. Business is not. Business is 100x riskier. You have to make decisions that can make or break you every day. A medical equivalent would probably be an ER doctor. Even a$250k a year radiologist? Not so much...

Obviously those of you who don't see this and believe a doctor has the hardest job in the world and are wayyy more educated and "street" smart than businessmen are obvbiously partial towards medicine.

Then again, this is a medical forum so I don't know what I was expecting, but I'd at least expect all these "intelligent" people to think logically and not just blabber jibberish from their partial views.

Last edited:
LOL. I can't believe you're comparing making a diagnosis to making business decisions. How hard is it to make a diagnosis? OK, give me symptoms. Let me compare that to a list I have. Compare that to decisions people who work on wall street and and own their own businesses. It's no contest. Medicine is standardized. Business is not. Business is 100x riskier. You have to make decisions that can make or break you every day.

Obviously those of you who don't see this and believe a doctor has the hardest job in the world and are wayyy more educated and "street" smart than businessmen are obvbiously partial towards medicine.

Then again, this is a medical forum so I don't know what I was expecting, but I'd at least expect all these "intelligent" people to think logically and not just blabber jibberish from their partial views.

Logic is what you are missing here. By making an all inclusive statement such as " the most successful business men" you're using the "cream" of a very very large crop...oh let's say, the entire GDP of this country. So duh! Furthermore, let's see how far your "street smarts" will get you if you drop a Bill Gates into the middle of a CABG as they are coming off bypass and you've got bleeding and low EFs. Can Bill do it with training, education, experience? I'm sure he can, but you seem to think a doctor with training education and experience can't survive in Business.

You utilize wut u learn in dental school in order to be a dentist buddy and how is it pure memorization !!!! Plus i think a smart dentist can be in the business field in one day and make money while a very smart businessman can't be a dentist in one day !!

I'm still a bit confused on how someone could cheat on the DAT, but the only way to get the answers you're looking for is to go to the ADA and ask them. My guess would be that the only way he could take the DAT again would be to appeal the decision and ask for special permission from the ADA. I'd guess that a process like that could easily take half a year, and the outcome would likely be grim.

This is just mind boggling. How does one cheat on the DATs? I honestly see no room for cheating. Even if he went to the bathroom to look at his cheat sheet, that's already a waste of what, 5-8 minutes? By the time he gets back to answer that one question his test will be over!

I know this is off topic of this thread but just wanted to make a quick comment on the whole "business vs doctors" thing. I feel like dentists who have their own practice are very much businessmen as well as a doctor. I mean, they are running their own practice which is basically a small business. I don't see how one can really compare and contrast business and medicine because I feel like you incorporate a lot of business in the practice of medicine.

americanpig is on crack....of course there are some people in the business world that are absolutely brilliant, but it's as someone mentioned earlier as the cream of their crop. we future dental professionals, however, each must go through a series of trials and tribulations before we are even considered for dental school...our bar is just set much higher than MOST in the business world....of course there are always exceptions...but there's a reason we have to two letters DR in front of our name... :D

haha It sounds like americanpig was rejected from medical/dental school and went for business instead. You speak of everyone being partial towards medicine...well duh! Yet, it sounds as though you are completely cynical towards medicine, so what is worse? You tell me!

As a dual major in both BUSINESS & biology; I can tell you that the two are NOT comparable---I have a 4.0 GPA in each...FOR ME - business classes (accountings, finances, etc.) are WAY easier than biology and chemistry and physics....BUT...I have friends that are national merit scholars that are business majors, and I have friends that are national merit scholars that are biology majors. What may be hard/risky to one may be completely different to someone else!

in fact..this argument is idiotic...ill just shut up!

Last edited:
if u need to cheat on a DAT test, imagine if u need to take the board!!!... which i dont think you can at all.!

how can you major in dentistry?:)

haha i just looked like a fool haha lol !!! im dual majoring in business and bio :) lol just edited that last post...it's correct in my signature...so there...lol im not thatttttt dumb

by the way..howard .. where is that? back east?

Sure its the neighbors son...lol...jk. Just apply you should not have any problem. :D im kidding. I was told looking at notes, using cell phone or leaving building is not permitted by ADA during break. So ppl dont do it unless you good at it. lol

sorry to bring this back up again but im really curious to know what the guy did. what if i cheat by accident if i dont know whats not allowed? ok, so you cant touch the screen, you cant bring anything in, but can you tilt your head totally to the side? what could you possibly do to cheat? are there other rules?

sorry to bring this back up again but im really curious to know what the guy did. what if i cheat by accident if i dont know whats not allowed? ok, so you cant touch the screen, you cant bring anything in, but can you tilt your head totally to the side? what could you possibly do to cheat? are there other rules?

If you think it's cheating, it probally is.