Cheating Scandal rocks IU School of Dentistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Rev Balls, May 9, 2007.

1. Rev Balls

2+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bxs023100

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    lol does that mean i have a good chance of getting in if i apply?

i never knew that knowing someones cheating and not reporting it can result in punishment too.

4. interesting......

5. onamission

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
  6. Rev Balls

2+ Year Member

I also wondered why the class had only 95 students. I thought IUSD usually starts with 100 or 101 students. What happened to the other 5 or 6? Does that mean they dropped or transfered for some reason.

Hey bxs.....yeah you'll have a good chance of getting in if you get accepted. I would imagine they would let you skip years 1 and 2. It's worth the shot......try it out and let me know.......

7. maybe they dropped out or is taking 1 year off.. and man that must suck...secon year students getting disciplined. 2nd year is the hardest part and now they have to start all over again...

8. ?DreamsRMadeOf

?DreamsRMadeOf Membership Revoked
    Removed

That's pretty shocking to me. Is dental school that hard, where all of these students felt the need to cheat? I wonder how common this kind of cheating occurs in med and dental school overall?

I also didn't know that you could get in trouble for not reporting it, I wonder how they could even prove whether or not, you know for sure that someone else is cheating, unless you foolishly admit it. I still don't know if I would report someone for cheating, I despise tattle-tells.

Yes, of course, I would be furious that I studied extremely hard, and struggled to pass tests and what not, while someone else goes and cheats, but it still wouldn't compel me to tell on them, I guess because I know in the long run it would catch up with them one way or another. I know the student that snitched has A LOT of enemies, I wonder what he/she gained from it.

9. i dont think this cheating scandale is going to affect admission requirements

10. Rev Balls

2+ Year Member

Yeah......i heard D1 and D2 are worst years. That's gonna be big time suck for those kids who gonna have to start over.....oh my God.....i bet some of the kids will quit and go look for something else to do.........that's a big shame.....

11. ?DreamsRMadeOf

Removed

I would never cheat, but if I were ever in that situation, I certainly wouldn't quit, they probably have student loans and stuff, if they have the opportunity to start over, they are very lucky.

12. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    shocking... too many students disciplined. The 24 students who they claim didnt report the incident although they knew about it were minding their own business. They would be damned if they had or hadnt said anything.

13. ?DreamsRMadeOf

Removed

Oh man, they got me. There is another thread about this in the dental forum. :rolleyes:

14. Rev Balls

2+ Year Member

they can't look for any legal reprentation. Here is the reason 'The reprimanded students knew of their classmates' actions but did not report them, a violation of the school's honor code, Goldblatt said."
    The school's honor code is the law. I would violate the law myself...Hell no, i would mind my own business....not people's business. I think they should get rid of that section of the code. People should have the freedom to speak or to keep their mouth shut wehn they have to..........well maybe i am wrong..

15. ?DreamsRMadeOf

Removed

I agree. I reread the article, I think that all of the reprimanded students will graduate anyway, but I wonder how or if this letter even hurts them.

16. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    "If would-be dentists with a history of an academic disciplinary action or other infraction apply for licensure in the state of Indiana, the Board of Dentistry might ask them to appear personally to explain the circumstances behind the incident, said Shelly Mazo, the board's director."

Other than having to personally appear in front of the board IF one applies for licensure in the state of Indiana, it doesnt really say how it would affect them. Also the students probably can seek legal representation but I bet no one wants to undergo public humiliation and years of dealing with lengthy court processes.

17. Rev Balls

2+ Year Member

You know what would be even gaier?.....If those kids got denied their licence to poractice dentistry......holly s...t. That would suck

18. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The comments (all 148 of them) left by readers are especially interesting. Here is the link to the comments and I copied and pasted one of the more interesting ones...

(page 1) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/indianapolis-star/T1MCE6R6I7EOBM0DV
    (page 2) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/indianapolis-star/T1MCE6R6I7EOBM0DV/p2
    (page 3) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/indianapolis-star/T1MCE6R6I7EOBM0DV/p3
    (page 4) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/indianapolis-star/T1MCE6R6I7EOBM0DV/p4
    (page 5) http://www.topix.net/forum/source/indianapolis-star/T1MCE6R6I7EOBM0DV/p5
    etc.

"There are so many holes to this story and I can't believe how many out there would read it and post comments without having a slight grip on the reality of the situation. IUSD failed to mention the fact that they ALLOW the use of old exams as study material. In fact, many of the professors don't even change exam questions from one year to the next. If you are lucky enough to have a friend a year ahead of you, then you have access to these "study materials". If not, you are out of luck. Unfortunately, dental school is very competitive and very demanding--the pressure, expecially in the 2nd year, can be completely overwhelming. There are some unfair advantages that one student may have over the next, but up until now, the school has allowed it. These students were pretty much granted access to the exam images (just pictures, no questions, no answers) because some of the passwords were not changed from year to year either. The remaining passwords were not protected properly, so can anyone honestly say they would not try them out when handed them by other classmates who were using them on the exams? If they were allowed to look at the old exam questions, why not the images? The school has made the line of what is allowed and not allowed very haggered and this has been going on for a very long time. In addition, the administration had multiple pieces of evidence turned in about classes before this one that had done the exact same thing. They have done nothing aside from turning a blind eye to it. The students in this class are recieving the blame for something that has gone on for a long time. Even worse, those that are being the most severly punished are those who came forward and told the truth. You are crazy if you believe that only 50 in this class of 95 were involved in one way or another. Those that are lying are getting away with it--even those that have been turned in by others and lied through their pearly white teeth when confronted. Since the administration can't "prove" anything on these students, all they are getting is a letter of reprimand??? I bet that will stop them from doing it again... I also bet that this has taught them that if they have a lapse in judgement in the future as a practicing dentist that they should fess up to it... If a list of students involved IS released, you should realize that these are the most honest and trustworthy in the class. I hate to say it, but the guy with the crack house analogy was the closest to hitting the nail on the head with his analogy."

19. juggamynugga

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    usually what happens is their names eventually get leaked and then everyone in the area knows who they are, that's as bad a punishment as you can have. You definitely have an obligation to stop these things from happening. No one likes tattletales but the reason dentistry is such a great profession is that we govern ourselves. These types of things make the gov't think they need to regulate. See what has happened to medicine?

20. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Another interesting comment from page 8 who agrees with one of the current IUSD students saying that the paper did not report the full story. The quote is below:

"As a retired staff member from IUSD, I was very saddened to read about the recent events of the dental school students. I do agree with this student that outsiders do not know the whole story, including myself. I do hope that there is forgiveness and compassion as the dismissed students return to their classes. I also think this will cause a student to think twice about cheating. I know that it is a very competitive world in dental school and second year makes or breaks you as far as getting into a specialty. I think maybe the students were only thinking about getting an edge over others and not the consequence of their actions. I will keep all of the students, staff and faculty in my prayers."

21. purplemonkey

purplemonkey Monkey
    10+ Year Member

That is the dumbest way ever to send out test materials. Why wouldn't they just send the email on the day of the test? Who wouldn't try to open it ahead of time? And you know the passwords were probably really simple, especially if they were variations of previous passwords. If it were up to me, students would get extra credit for cracking the passwords and professors would have to attend a course on using secure passwords.

22. bxs023100

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i dont think this will affect them too much. and so what if they have to repeat a year. at least youre still in dental school. so many people have to repeat bc they fail.
    theyll probably still get their license. unless they cheat on the NBDEs.
    i dont think their lives are going to be greatly affected.

i would never snitch, id just mind my own business

but then again, id like to know if my dentist cheated his way through dental school. i dont want some idiot coming near me with that drill

23. Rev Balls

2+ Year Member

It's true there was not enough security, but hey, i would have to think twice before doing something like that. A student from IU just e-mailed today and he told the news were far to be accurate. He couldn't tell me much though since he is not allowed to.
    Believe me man, i can't imagine what those students are going through right now, especially the ones that are expelled. They probably have a family to care of. Now their whole carrees are gone just like that. Oh my God, please show some mercy.

24. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Did they seriously just blame Bush and big business for cheating in academia?