cheating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think cheating on exams goes on in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
duh

And if you catch them, they sue the school and stay in anyway. At least that's what I heard happened at UTSA a few yrs ago........

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were to find out there was cheating going on during an exam, would you say anything about it? How about anonymously? (By anonymously, I'm thinking a note to the instructor saying that he/she might want to tighten up on exam procedures.)

we have honor code reps and honor code questions at the end of every exam. if you saw someone cheating, you would check "false" under the last question that says "i have not seen nor heard anything about the information on this exam, nor have i seen nor heard any other student receiving information about this exam" (or something like that) and an honor code rep would contact you. all accusations are brought before a panel in a number-assigned manner, meaning nobody but the honor code rep who contacted you after you put "false," would know who you were.

your school should have a formal policy set about this. at my school, there is an Honor Board, and you can make complaints to them. the only problem is that my class had one notorious cheater who several people made complaints about, but nothing was done to him. I think bringing it to the professor withoug mentioning the name of the cheater is a good idea.

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
we have honor code reps and honor code questions at the end of every exam. if you saw someone cheating, you would check "false" under the last question that says "i have not seen nor heard anything about the information on this exam, nor have i seen nor heard any other student receiving information about this exam" (or something like that) and an honor code rep would contact you. all accusations are brought before a panel in a number-assigned manner, meaning nobody but the honor code rep who contacted you after you put "false," would know who you were.
Are the honor-code reps members of your class? That seems like a good system.

Originally posted by kcrd
your school should have a formal policy set about this. at my school, there is an Honor Board, and you can make complaints to them. the only problem is that my class had one notorious cheater who several people made complaints about, but nothing was done to him. I think bringing it to the professor withoug mentioning the name of the cheater is a good idea.
How could they ignore so many complaints?

to be honest, i've never even thought about whether or not people are cheating, but now that i've read these responses i'm amazed that people are cheating. i really don't see the point, especially with a pass/fail system. we all have to know this stuff for the boards and to practice medicine, so we might as well learn it now while we are given the opportunity. what sort of people are cheating? those who fear they can't pass or those who are trying to get into competitive speacialties?

if i were to find out someone was cheating, i would likely report them. first i might confront them and ask them what was going on -- like did they have personal problems that prevented them from studying and led them to cheat or did they just think cheating was ok. i guess it would also depend in part on the severity of the cheating and whether the cheating was a one time thing or not. i know these things shouldn't really matter, because cheating is cheating, but i would feel more comfortable telling on someone who was a blatant cheater who cheated on every test than someone who one time snuck a peek at someone else's answer on a test.

i heard about this one guy who drew the krebs cycle on his pee-pee, and went to the bathroom in the middle of the test to look at his weiner.

ok. i'm joking. but it's a good story isn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
It never occurred to me that anyone might cheat, either -- everyone works so hard to get into professional school, and it just seems downright stupid to risk even a small possibility of being thrown out for dishonesty. It amazes me.

Here's the type of situation that got me thinking about it -- a very laid-back exam situation (no separation of students into every-other-seat, straight rows, etc.), and a single proctor who spends most of the time answering questions. He's a very nice man, and I'm certain he couldn't imagine that anyone would be cheating. I don't want to say that he's "asking" for cheating with such a lax atmosphere, but I think someone needs to make him understand that it's going on so that he makes his exams as locked-down as all the others.

simple solution. tell him what's going on.

i know someone from college who got kicked out of medical school his first year for cheating. i believe he tried to hack into a professor's computer and steal an exam or something like that. apparently, it looked like he had done some not-so-upright things in college, too. he wound up going to med school in europe. i'm betting he probably cheated there, too.

Duing most of our exams there are no faculty members present -no proctors, no TAs, nothing. They remind you of our honor code and the fact that if you witness cheating and do not report it you are in violation of the honor code as well.

Originally posted by LotusGirl
Duing most of our exams there are no faculty members present -no proctors, no TAs, nothing. They remind you of our honor code and the fact that if you witness cheating and do not report it you are in violation of the honor code as well.

My school is the same way. You can take the test anywhere, like in a private study room. We sometimes even get online exams that we can take any time within a one week period. In my opinion, there is really no point in cheating in Med School--you have to know this stuff anyway, and if you get caught it could end your career. Not worth it for an H instead of a P.

I think the people cheating are the ones who are worried about getting a P. True, they're screwed when they get to the boards if they don't know their stuff -- I think they just don't want to have the stigma of being the ones left back a year.

Originally posted by r_salis
How could they ignore so many complaints?

I think they set up the system to safeguard against people making false allegations about classmates in order to give themselves and edge. I don't remember the protocol offhand, but you have to have some sort of proof that the cheating is occuring.

Originally posted by flindophile
including one who had a 3.98 gpa and was heading to a prestigious law school.

A lot of professors don't want to know about cheating because it brings on all kinds of hassles. First ofall, it takes all kinds of work to prevent cheating and to catch cheaters. Students show up with lawyers.

This was the similar to the case I mentioned earlier. As I understood it, this chick was near the top of the class and was pretty bold about the cheating. No one was doing anything, so the students got involved. After a few warnings, she was booted. The parents got a lawyer and she was right back in.

Originally posted by thackl
This was the similar to the case I mentioned earlier. As I understood it, this chick was near the top of the class and was pretty bold about the cheating. No one was doing anything, so the students got involved. After a few warnings, she was booted. The parents got a lawyer and she was right back in.

It is a sad day when lawyers and money overcome honesty and integrity.

I'm also mad b/c most motorists don't use their turn signals. Why don't we enforce the laws? Too much hassle?

okay, i'm evil, but the people to notify about that chick are the bar association in whatever states she wants to practice in. that type of behavior should definitely raise some concerns about her ethics. anyway, she'll probably find it pretty hard to cheat in law school--almost all the exams are open book, open note and all essay, so cheating isn't exactly practical since everyone has access to all the factual information.

How do you think some people get in to medical school. I saw so many cheaters in undergrad, some got caught, others didn't. No one was disciplined though.

The greatest thing ever was to see the one chick who cheated all the time and had a 4.0 get a 17 on the MCAT. So it does come back to haunt some...

On the other hand, I know several cheaters that got in. I have no reason to believe they would stop cheating in med school. I think for many of these people, cheating is a compulsion that they can't bring themselves to quit. Some of them are super intelligent, but have no faith in their mind, so they cheat because they don't trust that they will remember the material.

Someone should start a "cheaters anonymous" group. Either that or take them all outside and break their jaw.