Cheats, lies, sabotage, deceit... of the med school/residency process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Whatever

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the lowest of the lows that you have done or friends/acquaintances of yours have done to get to med school/residency or have done while in med school/residency to look better than your peers and/or professors. In hindsight, what do you wish you had done.

At my undergrad, we would sometimes pass assignments up from the back toward the front of the class. I knew someone who (if they didn't do the assignment) would quickly scribble out the name on one of the papers passed up to them and write their own name. The Prof. in their haste never noticed and the person who actually did the assignment received a 0%.

I know that there are some evil people out there :D so lets hear your stories!

Members don't see this ad.

My girlfriend who was and is a stellar student and is now in a top med school. While in undergrad she would hang around others that were pre med. One guy in particular would blatenly cheat off of her exams going as far as asking her to move her arm so he could see her answers better. I would try to get her to turn him in but she never did fearing it would ruin his career and aspirations to go to med school. I would argue that he isn't the type of person that should be joining the rest of us in med school but she just never had the heart. I don't know if he ever made it or not, but based on the grades I knew he got, i seriously doubt it.

My school was notorious for cutthroat pre-meds who stole practice exams from the library reserves and purposely gave out wrong answers to problem sets. It got so bad that our organic chemistry department had to stop giving grades based on yields because people would sabotage each other's labs. Sound familiar?

Also, I read this article a while ago... this is totally shocking to me. The abridged cut and paste is below:

Man is accused of lying his way into surgical residencies and medical jobs before a background check revealed a history of deceit.
June 3, 1998
BY DAVID MIGOYA
AND JOE SWICKARD
Free Press Staff Writers
Dennis Roark was living his dream.
Fascinated with medicine since he tried to piece together an animal skeleton as a child, Roark set his sights on becoming a doctor.
Roark left Garden City West High School in 1976, and told beaming parents that he attended Wayne State University, earning undergraduate degrees in chemistry and biology in 1981.
The next step was Rush University Medical College in Chicago. For four years, the Roarks faithfully put their son on the Chicago-bound train and met him when he said he was returning on breaks.
Armed with his 1986 Rush diploma, he claimed he dazzled in postgraduate research, earned a doctorate and did residencies in Ohio, Michigan and Canada, where he participated in or observed hundreds of procedures ranging from amputations to heart bypasses.
In late 1997, Roark -- now married with an infant daughter -- sought membership in a Lansing surgical practice.
But Roark's dream life came undone when Dr. Linda Nash looked over his application to the Lansing practice and picked up a telephone.
Instead of a job offer from the practice, Michigan State Police Detective Jerrold Williams delivered an arrest warrant through the door of Roark's modest Sterling Heights town house in May.
After nearly 20 years, Roark's carefully crafted career lay shattered and exposed as a vast concoction of deceit, exaggeration and deception that could put him in prison for 14 years, authorities charge.
Instead of an honored healer, authorities now think that Roark, 39, is a college dropout who used a bogus medical degree and doctored records to fool his family, state officials, hospital training programs and patients.
"It seems," said Nash, "that he had perpetuated a rather long-standing hoax."
Roark's undoing
Dr. Linda Nash, a physician with the center, took Roark's application and began to verify it line by line. Three hours of telephone calls undid Roark's years of alleged sham.
Alarm bells started going off with Nash's first check -- Roark was not on a computerized roster of medical school graduates.
But, Nash said, she knew that glitches can happen so she dialed up Rush Medical College and spoke with registrar Joe Swihart.
No Dr. Roark graduated in 1986 or any other year, Swihart told her.
"So I faxed a copy of his diploma to Rush and the registrar called back and said this clearly was not authentic," Nash said.
She next called McKenzie in Canada at a number listed on Roark's application and left two messages on an answering machine.
Something was clearly amiss, and Nash notified Attorney General Frank Kelley's office.
The next day, Nash said she learned that Roark had called, saying he was withdrawing his application to accept a job in Ohio.
When McKenzie failed to return her calls after three days, Nash decided to try him at the school rather than the number on Roark's resume.
She got right through to him.
"He told me he did not have voice mail" and knew nothing of the phone number listed on Roark's application, Nash said.
After months of investigation, the Michigan Attorney General's office obtained a warrant for Roark's arrest, charging him with forgery and fraud in connection with this medical licensing.
Last month, Detective Williams arrested Roark at his home as his stunned wife, Deborah, holding their infant daughter, begged and cried for an explanation.
Roark was quiet. The dream was over.

Members don't see this ad :)
this guy who i worked with at a research lab told everyone at work, including his family, that he got into rush medical school. i felt that he was lying and tried to find his email address at the school. then i emailed the registrar and he told me that he doesnt go there. i guess this "i went to med school" lie is quite prevalent.

nuclearrabbit

northwestern - 2006

Originally posted by nuclearrabbit77
this guy who i worked with at a research lab told everyone at work, including his family, that he got into rush medical school. i felt that he was lying and tried to find his email address at the school. then i emailed the registrar and he told me that he doesnt go there. i guess this "i went to med school" lie is quite prevalent.

nuclearrabbit

northwestern - 2006

I heard yesterday that 25% of most entering freshman classes consider themselves to be "pre med". Obviously not even close to this number actually attend medical school. It must just be tough for some people to admit that they couldn't do it or didn't want to do it. It must have been pretty tough for this guy to swallow his pride and admit to you that he lied to everyone. How did you react to his admission?

one of my best friends who is NY working for dow jones was competing with another female intern for the job.. although she was engaged.. so my friend plotted and schemed.. and came up with the most malicious way of getting the job..

my friend hit on her.. screwed her to preoccupy her from her work and relationship.. and then dumped her.. suffice to say.. my friend got the job while the other intern was preoccupied with her extracurricular activities with my friend.. what's even worse is that i think her fiancee found out and dumped her skank @ss..

that my friends.. is a literal screwing.. and another way of sleeping your way to the top..