Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

check out my new toy

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by VolatileAgent, Apr 14, 2007.

1. VolatileAgent

VolatileAgent Livin' the dream
    7+ Year Member

my new "toy" (literally). recently got some mad money (for signing-on) from my soon-to-be employer. wife and i decided it was time to trade-in and upgrade "ole faithful" for something a little more fun, but still practical.

[​IMG]

i get her on tuesday. yee-haw! hang in there, current residents, there is light at the end of the tunnel... and it's not a train. :laugh:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. VolatileAgent

7+ Year Member

(p.s. i got it in the same color as pictured, but the voodoo blue was really spiffy too.)

4. Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you moving to a town with no roads? :D

5. VolatileAgent

7+ Year Member

haha. no, just a lot of snow. and, i'm going to need something to tow the boat around in the summer. ;)

6. zippy2u

zippy2u Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Nice car Volatile-- does the VIN start with a "J"? Regards, ---Zippy

7. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I thought about getting an FJ as well but was underwhelmed by the lack of pampering in the cabin. So I'm back to crawling the web for reviews and research before making a purchase. Definitely a nice ride though - enjoy it!

8. Kubed

Kubed Mostly Harmless
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Very nice Volatile! I've test driven a few of them and they're a lot of fun, plus there's TONS of after-market toys already. In the short time they've been out, i'm very surprised at how they've taken off. I think a black cherry one will be coming home shortly :D

9. VolatileAgent

7+ Year Member

i can tell you when i get it on tuesday. i don't have the delivery paperwork yet. why? does that mean something "special" that i should know about (ie., good or bad... like this one was put together in japan or something)?

as far as the creature comforts, i actually liked the ruggedness (i test drove locally and bought one from a dealership in beantown who's delivering it down... best price). the fabric seats are a plus, in my book. i have two kids who like to beat the hell out of stuff, and i figure that the interior will be pretty much indestructible to them.

10. zippy2u

zippy2u Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

11. zippy2u

zippy2u Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Si Senor, The "J" stands for Japan and I'm almost certain that that vehicle is built in Japan. Check out www.ih8mud.com to look for accessories for that car and forums. I have been eyein' that FJ for awhile and will wait a couple of years for the "bugs" to be worked out before I purchase. In my personal opinion, the bastardization of the premier Honda and Toyota vehicles started when they decided to build the cars in other places than Japan. The Japanese auto worker is head and shoulders above all auto workers and the only ones that come close are the Germans. Regards, ----Zippy

12. VolatileAgent

7+ Year Member

hey, thanks for the tip my man. i loved the test drive (drove a few others... jeep commander... land rover...). i'll be sure to give you the low down after i've had it a couple of months. i didn't hear about any serious "bugs", and i did my research. it's an '07 new off the lot. and, i'll definitely let you know if the 'j' is the first letter on the vin.

13. johankriek

johankriek Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Post Doc

i wouldnt touch those boring ass japanese cars... i had one for a long time.. its german all the way for me now ... BMW, mercedes benz... even the AUDI are head and shoulders above the rest in terms of the ride quality and pure luxury..

14. johankriek

Removed 2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    with all due respect; dont you care about the green earth.. preserving fuel.. and all that good stuff.. The green rating on this car is terrible.. 5.1
    The Green Rating measures a vehicle's environmental friendliness on a scale of 1 to 100. The higher a vehicle's Green Rating, the "greener" it is and the lower its harm to both human health and the health of the planet.

My car has a green rating of 66,,,

sorry for raining on your parade.. IT looks like a nice car however volatile..

15. VolatileAgent

7+ Year Member

you don't own a hybrid, do you? and what is this "health of the planet" stuff to which you refer?

by the way, if you're terribly worried about "green ratings" you should quit the field of anesthesiology.

16. johankriek

Removed 2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Im not terribly worried... i just dont like paying 100 bucks to fill my tank..

17. Lizard1

Lizard1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    and porsche???

18. Lizard1

Lizard1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    gotta pay to play :smuggrin:

19. pmichaelmd

pmichaelmd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  20. cfdavid

cfdavid Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That a boy. Keep it American!

21. jeesapeesa

jeesapeesa anesthesiologist southern california
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    how much do you guys pay for a full tank? it's 3.25/gallon where i am, and i drive a truck...around 50 bucks.

22. pmichaelmd

pmichaelmd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I put mid-test in the Denali and it's about $2.90/gallon. Since it's a 26-gallon tank...ouch! Then again, you get what you pay for. :D Hard to argue with 380 HP, though.

Regards,

PMMD

23. Lizard1

Lizard1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i too used to add mid-grade and even sometimes supreme to my yukon and i swore it improved mileage and "responded" better. however, flash forward 5 yrs and after extensive racing and hands-on car work, i've come to learn that these GM trucks (and most cars) cannot accomodate for higher octane. the engines are set for regular octane timing and cannot increase it because of higher octane. unlike german and other higher performance cars that are set for higher octane but can ****** their timing if a lower octane gas is being used.

so that being said, if you can somehow do a double blind placebo subjective test i think you'll discover no difference in performance. might be a good idea every few months to put in a high octane gas just to "clean out" the system but i don't know if that helps or hurts anything

bought an '07 tahoe when they first came out last yr and i have to focus when i fill up to just put regular in it. it still feels bizarre but i do it

24. Monty Python

Monty Python Icelandic (see avatar) doesn't translate well.
    10+ Year Member

I sat in one while getting my Camry serviced at the dealer. What did you think about the over-the-shoulder visibility? I initially thought of getting one, but the blind spots were rather noticeable.

25. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Attached Files:

26. VolatileAgent

7+ Year Member

yeah, the rear visibility may be a bit of an issue. it has to do with the way they designed the back cargo bay side windows. i'll have to drive it a while to really get a feel for how bad it might be. but, thanks for the cautionary heads-up. it was just such a fun suv to test drive. the local dealer couldn't make me a good enough counter offer, or i'd probably be driving it already.

27. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I guess it depends on how you define "American". 13 U.S. Models are currently built in Mexico, ranging from Buick, Chevy, Ford (F-Series!), GMC Yukon, and others. 18 "American" cars are built in Canada, including the GMC Sierra.

Approx 45 "import models" are now built in th U.S. including not only Honda, Toyota and Nissan, but some Mercedes, BMW (the X5) and even a Saab.

Thanks Nafta!

28. Induc(junc)tion

5+ Year Member

Never owned a truck. Have always had a sport sedan/big body, but the new Tundras are really cool. Might get one after I get rid of my current baby. Lots of Dinan Stage II in this M5.

Attached Files:

29. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I almost bought this same truck...to replace my 1995 Honda Passport, but a plastic surgeon I work with talked me into the Subaru.......which he also has.

30. cfdavid

Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I hear yah. I had customers in both the domestic and foreign market. but, being from detroit, i can tell you it's all about the american companies. the number of jobs related to the american (versus foreign transplants building here in the u.s.) companies are substantially higher than any of the foreign companies. i can't find the graph i've seen, but i'll keep looking.

also, remember where the high tech automation, engineering, and design comes frome. not to mention where much of the profits go, and where they're reinvested. i've personally seen the changes that occured when daimler took over chrysler. all the sudden much of what used to come from the u.s. in terms of automation equipment (multi-million dollar lines) and even automation components (valves, sensors, high-tech devices etc.)on that equipment became german, from germany. not always, but there was definitely a change.

i've seen million dollar programs go from machine shops in ohio and michigan go to companies oversees. it's tough. and, it's not in the best interests of the u.s. just something from my hometown.

31. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member

Attending Physician
    YOu know what else isn't in the best interest of the U.S.? Making an inferior product.

32. fval28

fval28 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Noyac-
    How true, how true.
    My wife's grandfather, mother and father consistently gave me a hard time about buying a used toyota tacoma, in 1998... guess what I'm still driving while they have all replaced their "American" cars 2 and 3 times since I've had the truck. At least my brother and sister in law saw the light, we were able to talk them into buying a highlander (like us) and they have not had a moment's trouble with it (like us). "American-Made" doesn't mean what it used to...

33. cfdavid

Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Things are changing. Quality has improved in a big way in Detroit. People just don't seem ready to give them another chance.

34. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, right.
    Lexus has a 438hp hybrid. What's detroit got to compete with that? Detroit is so far off the pace that the only reason they are still around is b/c of consumer ignorance.

35. Pilot Doc

Pilot Doc SDN Angel
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know where I would place 100% of the blame for that situation...

36. Broken Ankles

Broken Ankles Junior Member
    15+ Year Member

land rover is owned by ford. if i'm not mistaken, the engine in your range rover is a ford engine (actually, a jaguar engine made by ford).

37. cfdavid

Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I suppose the possiblity of them not being around would sit just fine with you? They've made some mistakes in the past, but these are symbols of American industry that you couldn't care less about? The Ford legacy means nothing to you as an American? What are you saying, exactly? Lexus doesn't have anything resembling an H3 either, but that's a weak arguement. And if you really look at GM's breadth of product, you'd know that it's not a fair one either.

38. VolatileAgent

7+ Year Member

and, do you know what they should call the new xj6? the jaguar taurus (have you seen that thing? seriously fugly)

the problem is the design-culture in detroit. that's why they're suffering... and trying to buy-up the competition. unfortunately, that culture is going to start infecting those new companies like a virus. and, soon not just many of the cars on the road will suck. most of them will.

ford has already stated they can't possibly make a profit until the year 2011, at the earliest! if they don't pull out of the nose dive, there won't be a ford motor company as you now know it. there will be a huge fire sale, and it'll be the end of an icon. call your broker soon...

and, even GM screwed up saturn. i just get the impression that detroit is success-phobic. they start with one good niche concept, and sooner or later big corporate culture invades it and mucks it all up. they water it down and try to broaden the market appeal. the result is usually a bad compilation of what they think everyone wants that almost unavoidably ends up looking and driving like a pile of dung.

besides the corvette, i can't think of any other american car that hasn't been completely screwed up by this droning, big corporate mentality. and even GM almost completely screwed that up in the mid 1980's...

do you all know that GM now makes more money from it's finance company, GMAC, than it does selling cars? that should tell you everything you need to know right there.

the likelihood of me ever owning another american car is so low that you should play the lottery instead of betting on me eating my words.

39. cfdavid

Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Again, the design culture is changing. Bob Lutz is sourcing design from all over the globe, and it's having an impact. I'm not saying that all "good" Americans should buy an "American" vehicle. But, it strikes me as pretty short sighted how some people seem to revel in the potential demise of an American industry. Perhaps one day we will no longer have a presence in the global automotive market. We can then join the ranks of all the other nations that don't, and watch as the most industrious and wealthy continue to supply the world.

40. cfdavid

Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's true. But, while I'm not suggesting that people should buy with emotion or based on supporting the home team, it would be nice to see people a bit more empathetic. This is a very competitive global industry, and historically, foreign governments have been much more ready to lend a hand to those critical industries than our own system allows. Sure, Chrysler was bailed out in the 80's but it's nothing like the Keiretsu system of total support seen in Japan, or the fact that Deutch Bank had been (and still may be) one of the largest shareholders in Daimler Benz. These systems, while not perfect, had enabled their own companies to weather difficult times and to penetrate foreign markets, even as initial loss leaders.

It's a bit dated now, but a book I'd strongly recommend anyone is one written by Lester Thorow, Head to Head. Probably one of the best books I've ever read w/r/t global economics and the global competition for high paying, high skilled industries. Check it out. It's a very easy read, and super interesting.

41. VolatileAgent

7+ Year Member

they got complacement. there was no competition. they could churn out a crap product, and that's what everyone came to expect. they're still reeling from the late 1970's when people finally just had had enough. i remember when i was just starting high school in the late 1970's. we had a couple of GM P.O.S. in our driveway. those things were nothing but heartache. my dad would go through a new GM car every couple of years... because that's only as long as they'd last. at best, you'd get maybe 55-60K out of one of them before it had a meltdown. they were ugly as ****. finally in the early 80's after i'd just started driving, he bought my mom a volkswagen after her 2-year-old ford escort broke down on her on the highway - while she was driving it! - and almost killed her. we kept that volkswagen and it lasted me through college and mba school.

so, symbol of American industry? this is the kind of arrogance big industry expects us to kowtow to and what happens when you rest on your laurels and expect people to accept whatever product you put out there. eventually, someone better comes along, but by then you're already too far behind to catch up.

sound familiar, future anesthesiologists???? remember that story.

42. cfdavid

Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey, I never said that there weren't mistakes made. I also acknowledge that, in general, people would prefer to buy American provided they felt they were making a good buy. The U.S. mfg's need to keep improving quality and design, and they are. They'll get there, I sincerely hope. I agree that the onus is on them.

As for the future, like anesthesiology and the issues we deal with here, I remain optimistic. I don't believe that the problems can't be overcome. Nor do I believe that Americans are incapable of succeeding in the auto industry. GM's looking like they're in the best shape. Ford is in trouble, and Chrysler's getting sold (only a matter of time now). But, it's not too late. They can make a comback.

43. proman

proman Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The American companies can't make a profit because of their union agreements. GM adds $1700 in cost per vehicle made just for healthcare. It's also why large corporations want national healthcare.

44. jeesapeesa

jeesapeesa anesthesiologist southern california
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i bought a brand new tacoma short-bed last march 2006. today it has 40,436 miles. i've only had to change the oil (about 6 times already), and refill the windshield wiper fluid. fine machine.

45. cfdavid

Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yep, and that's a huge disadvantage. It's true that the foreign companies operating in the U.S. also pay healthcare to their workers, but they're non-union, and they simply don't have the legacy costs of funding all of their retired community since most of the "transplants" are so new that there is no substantial retirement community at this point(at least as compares to the US companies).

46. zippy2u

zippy2u Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

cfdavid, Your mindset is typical of the Northern industrial based folk. The big 3 haven't produced a quality vehicle since the 70s. The American government should not bail these companies out. IMO the quicker they die the better. Look around you, most everything is of poor quality that is made in the USA. All these new McMansions with their OSB sheathed walls and roofs, warped studs, poor fasteners, windows and showers that leak after a few years and the list goes on. America is being transformed into a service oriented society. No longer can the average man do anything around the house in a quality fashion. That fiberglass "snot" boat you just bought is also of poor quality. Damaged hulls from the hurricaines have boat inspectors shaking their heads at the poor quality. I could go on and on... "Made in America" is analagous to "Made in China" 30 years ago---garbage. Regards,---------Zip

47. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member

Attending Physician
    Yes indeed. Ford realized that it could not complete with the foreign vehicles, so they decided to purchase them and it has been down hill to some extent since. Ford owns Land Rover, Jaguar, among others. The engine is however, not at all Ford. It is the engine in the high performance supercharged Jaguar S-Type R, XJR, XKR.

48. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member

Attending Physician
    And did you see what Ford did to the Discovery? Seriously, f'ed up.

49. cfdavid

Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ah, I think you're overstating things a bit. There are plenty of examples where the U.S. is still making (or engineering, as I agree that LOW skilled mfg processes are of little value) great products. Look at GE, 3M, and our biotech/pharma industries. Look at Apple and iPod. How about medical instrumentation/device companies like Medtronic and Boston Scientific. The list goes on. So, I disagree with your assessment of the U.S.

And as for a "service" economy, there are other service-led economies in the world, but I'm not sure we really want to emulate them. It needs to be high tech, high skilled "service" jobs, not just a bunch of hotel clerks and waiters.

Also, Zip, what happened to pride? Why would you really rather see the expeditious demise of an American industry rather than looking realistically at their problems, while still wishing for their success? WTF? That makes me sick, and it's my opinion that it's VERY shortsighted. Industries like these, which employ large numbers of people, don't grow overnight, and it takes a great deal of small, innovative, service based companies to replace them in our economy.

50. zippy2u

zippy2u Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You mentioned GE LOL, several years ago with a kitchen remodel I bought a high end Ge profile microwave with all the bells and whistles. Within 1 year the door handle cracked and fell off. I glued it back on with polyurethane glue. Also, the LED board doesn't fully light up when you push certain buttons. Go ask your friendly electrician what he thinks of GE loadcenters, he'd rather have Square D. Check with that plumber, what's the best toilet. If they're honest they say Toto--made in Japan. When's the last time you walked into Walmart and bought something made by Medtronic---exactly. Had a cable box once made by Boston Scientific but it didn't make me marvel at the technological wizardry that someone had to know to produce that work of art. I think I threw it in the garbage once I changed cable companies. I believe I have some 3M duct tape layin' around in the garage somewhere-- I think I'll stare at it for awhile and ponder the adhesive's chemical composition. My point is that if the product you have has a rotating assembly or has current passing through it or requires technological sophistication to manufacture AND MUST BE RELIABLE don't count on a "Made in the USA" to getcha on down the road. Google Ed Craig's welding site and read about his nightmares with America's robotic welding auto manufacturing centers. In all my years in Florida, nobody has ever whispered in my ear with any measure of excitement that they were movin' to Michigan or Ohio much less Detroit. Detroit's illiteracy rate approaches 50%. Wow, I want to raise a family in that cherished wasteland. Once Japan produces a work van that ya can buy in the USA( they got the Toyota V8 Tundra work truck) we can finally put the Big 3 in the coffin and nail it shut. Sorry for the rant but the USA used to be the land of superiority; now the bumper sticker reads: Welcome to America--the land of mediocrity. Regards, ----Zip

51. cfdavid

Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your ingnorance with regards to what it is that GE really does is quite funny. And you're in medicine? And 3M is a whole lot more diverse than Scotch tape. Do you like anything American?

If you truly believe we've become the land of mediocrity, what do you propose be done about it? Or is that just fine with you? Maybe we should just "nail the coffin shut" on the entire country. I honestly can't believe the loathing you show for anything, apparently, American. As if nothing good happens here.

I'm not talking about cheap consumer goods you can buy at Walmart. Anyone can play that game. But, it's something entirely different to design, and manufacturer power generation systems and MRI machines. 3M's polymers and materials science contributions are far reaching. The $2 plastic toy at Target means very little to the overall economy. But, the thousands of high tech jobs that certain key industries provide, and the wealth that they ultimately create are ones we need to protect, and promote. Please, dude, before we go on with this, tell me you understand that basic principle.