Quantcast

Check out this site...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineBird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
frozen_canadian said:

1)Great, we probably need this.
2)Because of greedy business men and special political interest the U.S. is not even in the top ten in healthcare world wide.
3)Its sad many do not have access to healthcare while we are forecasted to spend 2 or 3 trillion in Irag in 3 years while the insurgents spend little.

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
mjl1717 said:
3)Its sad many do not have access to healthcare while we are forecasted to spend 2 or 3 trillion in Irag in 3 years while the insurgents spend little.

Well, first off I was listening to NPR and they had on someone who was an investigator on the committee of finance or some such (I forget who and can't remember the committee, sorry) and he said the war in Iraq, to put it in perspective, constitutes about a 1-2cents on the dollar expenditure, the tax cuts a 1/2 cent on the dollar loss, and healthcare costs about a 4 cents on the dollar cost. He said the problem was that healthcare is projected to rise to 12 cents! on the dollar within like 10 years or something, and this would be a huge strain as historically we raise about 18-20 cents on the dollar in revenue, spend about 22, and borrow the rest, and thus we don't know how to cover such a huge increase. So he didn't see the tax cuts/war as the real problem, though I agree that neither were neccesary/a good idea. Also, I find it sad that although people enjoy complaining about the "enourmous" cost of healthcare, the actual consumer cost is fairly low. This was something commented on in Peter Jennings last report on the healthcare crisis (that we shield consumers from the cost), also, according to this article in the nytimes: http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060203/ZNYT02/602030739 people spend $27billion annually on alternative and complimentary medicine, and his doesn't mention all the modern ammenities and low mpg cars people like, and designer clothes/handbags popular even in the middle class.Stuff to think about. Anyhow, the concept is obviously good if it is making money, and I am glad that in addition to this it brings a needed service.

zack_morris

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
its nice that the mother was relieved that her child didn't have strep throat, but I heard she still demanded an antibiotic....... :laugh:

rtmcad2319

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
frozen_canadian said:

You know what, its CRAP like this that is going to really decrease the care people receive! Just as with food people that are dumb (most people) are going to go to these clinics for convenience and cheapness. At the same time, these clinics will become popular and start to compete, price wise, and as this happens, you will get "McDonalds type healthcare." What a shame!

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
mjl1717 said:
2)Because of greedy business men and special political interest the U.S. is not even in the top ten in healthcare world wide.
Ehh.. not really arguing but thought I would point out that perhaps our love and fascination with McDonalds, BK, Wendys, fried food, pizza, and of course sitting our couches plays a part..

ashahdc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
rtmcad2319 said:
You know what, its CRAP like this that is going to really decrease the care people receive! Just as with food people that are dumb (most people) are going to go to these clinics for convenience and cheapness. At the same time, these clinics will become popular and start to compete, price wise, and as this happens, you will get "McDonalds type healthcare." What a shame!

generally staffed by nurses and PA's...hmm...unsupervised...wait till some illness goes unnoticed and the malpractice lawyers come knocking.