Check school out the list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Poetry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT score(I know, I received my score late)...not too excited...30P. Here are the stats...

STATS:
-3.98cgpa, 4.00sgpa
-2 years of research(2 poster presentations)
-Taught gen chem (second semester) for 1.5 years
-Was a scribe for 1.5 years
-performed non-medical voluteering for 2 months
-Plastic surgeon shadowing 30 hours
-Good LORS
-Good PS

SCHOOL LIST:
stanford
columbia
baylor
howard
morehouse
uc irvine
ucla
usc
uc san diego
ucsf
uc davis
brown
nyu

I want to have about 15-20 schools ... I feel that I need more safety schools...any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctor Poetry said:
I want to have about 15-20 schools ... I feel that I need more safety schools...any suggestions?

More than just a feeling. You are in serious trouble if you are only planning on applying to a few more schools on top of that. Your list is absolutely dominated by reaches, even with your high GPA.

Is your AMCAS verified yet? If not, you should sit out this year. I would imagine that many of the schools you have listed will have 10/15 primary deadlines.

I also recommend the sit-out, unless you can't wait. To make a lot of those reaches more reachable, you should pump up your MCAT. If you can spend the time... volunteer, work, and study. What's your lowest score? Verbal? What's next?

Members don't see this ad :)
any suggestions?
Do you honestly feel you've hit your MCAT score ceiling? Considering your med school aspirations and generally strong application otherwise (could use more nonmedical community service, though) and the fact that you'll be disadvantaged applying this late, wouldn't you like to give the MCAT another go and have a better chance at getting into a more-selective school of your choice?

And, BTW, Howard and Morehouse would want to see a significant pattern of service to those with sparse economic resources.

Thanks for the advise Catalystik...and I think that your advice about me pumping my EC's is quite wise...I'll definately do that...so I'll wait till next cycle where I can atleast hit a 34 on the MCAT. I plan on taking a kaplan prep course, would do you think?

Meanwhile, do you think it would be wise for me to prepare my secondarys for the next cycle based on the prompts I've found on the internet.

BTW...if i do pull off at least a 34 on the mcat, strengthen my EC's, and do an additional year of research, do you think that I would have a great shot at the schools I have listed. How is the variability of my school list? Any advice? It seems a bit top heavy...do you have any schools in mind that will serve as a safety?

MEDICAL SCHOOL LIST
-Stanford
-UCSF
-USC
-UCSD
-US Irvine
-UCD
-UCLA
-Brown
-Johns Hopkins
-Yale
-Harvard
-Howard
-Morehouse
-NYU
-SUNY Upstate
-SUNY Downstate
-Cornell
-Mayo
-Albany
-Baylor
-Columbia
-George Washington
-Georgetown
-NorthWestern Universities

A formal classroom prep course can be very helpful, provided you stick to the schedule, show up for class, and do the homework. Its advantage is forcing you to keep up the study pace necessary to review all the pertinent subjects in a set period of time. It does not help if you don't show up.

With an MCAT of 34 you'd be quite competitive and could have a realistic shot at many of the more-selective schools on your list (including Baylor). You can prewrite Secondary essays if you like, but 7-8 months is likely to change your perspectives, and you may end up rewritng the prewrites. I'd personally wait to see what new MCAT score you get first.