Check this out!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gay Focker RN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.rossmed.edu/Medical_School/Home/home.html

Read what Ross University, the best medical school in the world is saying about the osteopathic profession.

Read the bottome paragraph on the first page.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't get mad at that. People who do their research usually end up at a DO school. Not always, but enough to piss Ross off and make them put that on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, Ross students take like 6 months off just to study for the USMLE. Most of us (US med students)get like 2-4 weeks off to do it. Give me all the time in the world without regular med school to study for and I'll kick ass even more than I did.

This was my email response to Ross University today:

Dear Ross representative:

I recently visited the Ross University webpage where it so succinctly states that Ross University offers an "...excellent allopathic education, avoiding the compromise of a degree in osteopathic medicine" at the bottom of every page on the website. Is this the Ross University mantra?

I find it absolutely amazing as well as disheartening that a medical university of this day and age considers an osteopathic medical degree to be a compromise in medical education and voices this opinion on their website. The most ironic thing is the inference that a degree from a Caribbean medical program is not. This kind of mentality does nothing for your institution other than assure those of us who read it that Ross' interest is primarily a monetary one. It is apparent that Ross University obviously considers US osteopathic programs "competition." What better way to assuage prospective "customers" about the evils of the competitor other than to imply that they are a compromise?

I additionally noted that your webpage lists a copy of a letter to Forbes magazine by CEO Timothy Foster, wherein he states that Ross' Step 1 pass rates are " 82% to 94%" which "outperform US osteopathic students who typically achieve first-time pass rates of approximately 75%." What he left out was the fact that the overall foreign medical student pass rate for Step 1 in 1999 was 65% as opposed to 80% (not 75%) osteopathic pass rate. I guess we are to believe that Ross is just a cut-above every other foreign medical school out there and that their rates are not consistent with the foreign medical student average.

May I congratulate your institution on sinking to an all new low in medical school recruitment?

That's pretty lame even from a second rate medical school. By the way, I wrote a email and reminded Ross that DO's who read their web-site won't like it one bit. It is extremely detrimental especially when senior DO residents come across applications of Ross medical students wanting in to their programs.

CVPA,
That was a GREAT letter to ROSS...I am an MS1 at Western/COMP...and would love to know what their response was...if any..

Keep me posted...

and THANKS!!!

Great Job!

Thanks, Yosh. I will be shocked if they actually respond. If they do, I will be sure to post the response here. ;)

Yosh,

What kind of a name is that? It sounds like something from Super Mario Brothers.

Howdy,

GF, RN

Attacking a person for their name? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information about Ross, I feel ever better about being at KCOM!

Oh, no!!

I wasn't attacking him. I was just curious what it meant. Sorry if it sounded like an attack.