1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Check this out!!!!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Gay Focker RN, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Gay Focker RN

Gay Focker RN Member
    7+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gay Focker RN

Gay Focker RN Member
    7+ Year Member

4. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I wouldn't get mad at that. People who do their research usually end up at a DO school. Not always, but enough to piss Ross off and make them put that on their website.

5. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dude, Ross students take like 6 months off just to study for the USMLE. Most of us (US med students)get like 2-4 weeks off to do it. Give me all the time in the world without regular med school to study for and I'll kick ass even more than I did.

6. CVPA

CVPA Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This was my email response to Ross University today:

Dear Ross representative:

I recently visited the Ross University webpage where it so succinctly states that Ross University offers an "...excellent allopathic education, avoiding the compromise of a degree in osteopathic medicine" at the bottom of every page on the website. Is this the Ross University mantra?

I find it absolutely amazing as well as disheartening that a medical university of this day and age considers an osteopathic medical degree to be a compromise in medical education and voices this opinion on their website. The most ironic thing is the inference that a degree from a Caribbean medical program is not. This kind of mentality does nothing for your institution other than assure those of us who read it that Ross' interest is primarily a monetary one. It is apparent that Ross University obviously considers US osteopathic programs "competition." What better way to assuage prospective "customers" about the evils of the competitor other than to imply that they are a compromise?

I additionally noted that your webpage lists a copy of a letter to Forbes magazine by CEO Timothy Foster, wherein he states that Ross' Step 1 pass rates are " 82% to 94%" which "outperform US osteopathic students who typically achieve first-time pass rates of approximately 75%." What he left out was the fact that the overall foreign medical student pass rate for Step 1 in 1999 was 65% as opposed to 80% (not 75%) osteopathic pass rate. I guess we are to believe that Ross is just a cut-above every other foreign medical school out there and that their rates are not consistent with the foreign medical student average.

May I congratulate your institution on sinking to an all new low in medical school recruitment?

7. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the whole thing is pretty funny: "...without the compromise of settling for an osteopathic medical degree..."! Give me a break!

8. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That's pretty lame even from a second rate medical school. By the way, I wrote a email and reminded Ross that DO's who read their web-site won't like it one bit. It is extremely detrimental especially when senior DO residents come across applications of Ross medical students wanting in to their programs.

9. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    CVPA,
    That was a GREAT letter to ROSS...I am an MS1 at Western/COMP...and would love to know what their response was...if any..

Keep me posted...

and THANKS!!!

Great Job!

10. CVPA

CVPA Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks, Yosh. I will be shocked if they actually respond. If they do, I will be sure to post the response here. ;)

11. Gay Focker RN

Gay Focker RN Member
    7+ Year Member

Yosh,

What kind of a name is that? It sounds like something from Super Mario Brothers.

12. BigSkyDreams

BigSkyDreams Smelly Uncle Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Howdy,

GF, RN

Attacking a person for their name? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information about Ross, I feel ever better about being at KCOM!

13. Gay Focker RN

Gay Focker RN Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh, no!!

I wasn't attacking him. I was just curious what it meant. Sorry if it sounded like an attack.