Checklist for application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thawunandonly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for asking such a noob question, but I did a few searches beforehand and am trying to make sure I got all the details...

Trying to manage the application process on my own, what will I be needing for the primary and (later) the secondaries (or is there a sample primary out for me to look at)?

For the primary application, I'd need to get ready: personal statement, transcripts, GPA, MCAT scores, and work experience/etc. information? When do the LORs come into play...during the secondaries only?

Members don't see this ad.

You should be writing your personal statement now if you're applying this summer. You should also have a list of activities (and a short description of them) handy. Starting the beginning of May, you can send your LORs and transcripts to AMCAS to be added to your primary. You can submit your application starting the beginning of June.

Your GPA will be calculated by AMCAS based on your transcripts, though you will need to put in all the courses you've taken (ever at the college level, even if you took them in high school). Your MCAT score will automatically be added to your application once it comes in; you just need to make sure you take the test prior to applying.

Secondaries will largely be essays and payment. You won't need much for those.

Okay, so just to clarify the LORs will go with the primary? Meaning I'll need my LORs by the time I submit the primary, and all the schools I apply to will get the same ones?

Is there any way to submit the LORs a little later than usual or do they have to be posted with the app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so just to clarify the LORs will go with the primary? Meaning I'll need my LORs by the time I submit the primary, and all the schools I apply to will get the same ones?

Is there any way to submit the LORs a little later than usual or do they have to be posted with the app?

You can submit LORs anytime using the AMCAS service, but schools will not consider your secondary complete until you get them to AMCAS and assign them to that school.

Also, you will need another letter service if you plan to apply to the few schools that don't use amcas letter service.

Last edited:
You can submit LORs anytime using the AMCAS service, but schools will not consider your secondary is complete until you get them to AMCAS and assign them to that school.

Also, you will need another letter service if you plan to apply to the few schools that don't use amcas letter service.

Wait, :D that sounded kind of confusing.

Let's say I submit the primary application without LORs (if I can). Will schools still look at the primary at all and send me secondaries, OR will they send secondaries only when I send in the LORs?

Wait, :D that sounded kind of confusing.

Let's say I submit the primary application without LORs (if I can). Will schools still look at the primary at all and send me secondaries, OR will they send secondaries only when I send in the LORs?

Your letters have nothing to do with you getting secondaries. AKA you can submit and have your primary verified without them. But once you receive and submit secondaries, schools will not progress your application until AMCAS receives your letters and you assign them to the schools through your AMCAS.