D

DRIN

I'm taking GenChem in the Fall and currently have some time right now to start studying in advance (Chemistry was tough for me in high school). What is the absolute best, most effective, comprehensive way for me to master General Chemistry? I want to ace the class and be really prepared when the MCAT rolls around. Can anyone help me map out a game plan? I'm sure many other students could benefit as well.
Read every chapter and do a lot of practice problems...I know, I'm old-fashioned ;)

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm taking GenChem in the Fall and currently have some time right now to start studying in advance (Chemistry was tough for me in high school). What is the absolute best, most effective, comprehensive way for me to master General Chemistry? I want to ace the class and be really prepared when the MCAT rolls around. Can anyone help me map out a game plan? I'm sure many other students could benefit as well.
you're annoying.

vin5cent0

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Practice problems... do a lot of them. And then do some more. I tried skimping on them.. 65% on my first test. Started doing an assload of them, 99% on the 2nd test (wrote 7.0 instead of 7.00 on a question and she docked a point) and 93% on the final. Walked out with an A in the class, so I was happy with that. Once you have mastered the problems, the questions that go along with them are generally easy to do.

Insulinshock

Class of 2022
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
umm... study a lot?? There's really nothing about this class that would require you to study differently than any other college science course, meaning that it doesnt require a "study specialization" like intense memorization in anatomy or analytical skills like orgo.

It's been a while since I took it, though. Everybody studies differently.. I would reccomend dabbling in various forms (flash cards, group studying, etc.) and seeing which works best for you. I assume you'll be a freshman so this goes for all classes.