Chem and Orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctormo24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say you take gen chem 1 and gen chem 2 with a professor who is not all that great at teaching, and the only reason you really pass is because of his big curves. You know the basics somewhat but are not really that advanced in chem. Now its time to take Orgo 1 and you feel apprehensive about taking it because you passed chem because of the curves, what happens to you now? Is it still possible to DO REALLY WELL in ORGO 1 with not that great knowledge of gen chem if you put a lot of effort into really understand orgo?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctormo24 said:
Lets say you take gen chem 1 and gen chem 2 with a professor who is not all that great at teaching, and the only reason you really pass is because of his big curves. You know the basics somewhat but are not really that advanced in chem. Now its time to take Orgo 1 and you feel apprehensive about taking it because you passed chem because of the curves, what happens to you now? Is it still possible to DO REALLY WELL in ORGO 1 with not that great knowledge of gen chem if you put a lot of effort into really understand orgo?

I'd say that there is little correlation between gen chem and orgo; completely different concepts and type of comprehension. Just because you didn't do great in gen chem does not mean that orgo will be the same. That being said, Orgo is considered to be more challenging than gen chem and requires a considerable amount of work and dedication. Don't be hesitant to take orgo, its absolutely possible to do wonderfully I know alot of people who loved orgo and just got through gem chem. Good luck

I would agree. There is very little correlation with Gen chem and Orgo. Gen chem is math based and Orgo is anything BUT math based. You can do poorly in Gen chem and fully succeed in Orgo and vice versa. Personally, I hated gen chem, I thought it was boring, but I loved Orgo. One thing to keep in mind, org takes a lot of time to study...you have to put in the time to get the grade....especially in org2. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Echo the above. Gen Chem is mainly your math skills. Orgo is your memory and understanding and at times sheer determination.

Agree with the above posts - don't need gen. chem. to do well in orgo. Have to warn you for the future though - gen. chem. is 50% of the PS section on the MCAT, orgo - only 20% of the BS section. You're really going to have to get a good grasp of gen. chem. at one point or another.

peterpansy said:
Agree with the above posts - don't need gen. chem. to do well in orgo. Have to warn you for the future though - gen. chem. is 50% of the PS section on the MCAT, orgo - only 20% of the BS section. You're really going to have to get a good grasp of gen. chem. at one point or another.
ditto on the PS stuff.