Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Chem, Bio, and Calculus in one semester?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by calvinhobbes, Aug 5, 2006.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi everyone. Next semester I am taking Bio, Chem, and Calc I -- along with some English courses. Has anyone done this before? I hope not to burn myself out, but I am extremely dedicated, smart, and courageous to succeed. Other than that, my GPA is a 3.9, majoring in English.

Also, I took an online Literature course this summer - got an A. When I will apply to med schools, will it say that this Lit course was done online? The section code is WW -- so does that appear on the transcript or the AMCAS?
    Do med schools look down upon online summer courses?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    uhh i took genetics, orgo2, physics2, differential equations along with 2 credits of research

its not that bad

and when you enter your grades on AMCAS i believe there was a box to check online...im prolly wrong though

4. minah86

minah86 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Many people will come in here stating their hardest semester, and will just say, "Look at what I did, that schedule you're talking is CAKE!", but honestly, it depends on how you feel.

If you're having doubts on doing good for that schedule, think about it a little more to see if you want to do it.

Everyone is different.

5. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    and everyones hardest semester here will be cake compared to medical school

6. AggieJohn

AggieJohn Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can do it seeing as you are so "courageous to succeed!"

There wasn't an online checkbox on AMCAS.

7. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've done it before.

Intro bio, honors gen chem, and multivariable calc (Calc III) my first semester freshman year.

8. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    it also depends on your school.

Cornell(genetics+orgo+physics) = not getting into med school

9. BigRedPremed

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Funny you should mention that. I'm currently doing an internship with another Cornell student. She's planning on taking genetics w/ orgo and a 400-level bio course in the spring semester. I put the odds of her suffering a nervous breakdown at 50/50 (only cuz she's pretty smart).

10. dapmp91

dapmp91 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    funny you should mention it, that is what my schedule's looking like when I get back to school in 2 weeks, Bio I, CHem II (G chem that is ) and Calc I, I guess we're in the same boat here, except I've taken Calc I in high school, you should do fine as you study hard and keep up with the work, be prepared to study but don't get too overwhelmed, and good luck :thumbup:

11. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

theres quite a bit of difference between intro physics and a 400 leve bio class. It's not so much the difficulty, but the amount of work you have to put into it. So if your friend was taking physics instead of the 400, then her chance of a nervous breakdown would bump up to 85. :)

12. MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Piece of cake. That was by first semester, freshman year. Just manage your time well.

13. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Every class you take will seem hard only if you make it to be that way. When I was in high school, a lot of my fellow classmates would always complain how hard the classes were. Once they went to college, they realized how easy it was. You will say the same in med school if keep doing the same. You shouldn't get yourself into that mindset. One of my friends put it in a good way imo for people who think this way: "a neurosurgery resident eats the MCAT for breakfast." If you remember that, you shouldn't ever worry about something that is only a small hurdle in life.

14. Knickerbocker

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It's tough asking us here because it is dependent on your school and the particular professors you have. For example, at my school, the person I had for Calculus II didn't have us turn in homework so I just spent the amount of time needed to learn the material and moved on to other things. I think most other instructors at my school required homework (some of them a ridiculous amount), which would have eaten up a lot of my time.

15. photo_girl07

photo_girl07 Western Blot Queen
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I took Calc, Chem, Bio, Psy my first quarter and it was great! I survived to live the day...Just don't put things off and you'll be fine. glck :laugh:

16. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks so much guys - I actually chose the classes based on the professors, and they are fantastic. Thanks for the supportive answers!

17. ANCAdoc

ANCAdoc Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Shouldn't be bad. I've had much worse and faired just fine. If you can't handle that, then honestly you might not be med school material (not to be mean, just honest). Trust me, gross anatomy alone will demand more effort than those courses combined.

18. mideastbroson

mideastbroson Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow,
    I find it interesting that my schools prehealth program does everything either way too hard or way too wrong. All premeds at Muhlenberg College, PA have to take Bio I, Gen Chem I, and Calculus I in their first semester (GPA = 3.65). In my 2nd semester I had to take Gen Chem II, Bio II, and Physics I at the same time (and I somehow with the luck of the gods on my side got a 3.9). Here at muhlenberg they really stack it all on you and expect you to be done with the requirements by spring of sophomore year. Next semester (sophomore here) I will be taking Orgo I, Bio III, Mind and Brain (Neuroscience course with lab), Physics II, and spanish. I guess that makes me feel good to knwo that i can stack some tough courses and bang it out. Props to anyone doing or has done the same. Don't worry, stick with the work, devote time, and the grades will come like urine in a pool.

19. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll be taking Organic, Physics and Physiology and doing research in fall. So just sit out a semester and I'll get back to you :laugh: .

20. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did it before, back in my freshman year. Wasn't much of a problem. I'd say the sem I had physics w/ calc, orgo, and spanish (don't disparage the economic policies of Venezuela's Hugo Chavez in a presentation when your prof is a latin american far leftist) at the same time was harder.

21. dcolon_et06

dcolon_et06 Premed
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haha what do ya know. Im just entering college and you have the exact same schedule as mine (Bio 1, Chem 1, English 1, Calculus 1). Lets just hope that its not TOO hard otherwise we're both in trouble lol. Calculus will be my killer if any since I havent taken precalc/trig since junior year in hs.

22. BigRedPremed

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If we're talking about meet-six-times-a-week Physics 207/208, then absolutely :)

23. Dr.Acula

Dr.Acula Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Priceless! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

24. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'm taking those same classes too, but with a painting class mixed into it. Don't worry about it, just tell yourself that med. school will be so much harder.

25. MinnyGophers

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    i know that cracked me up too. I thought at first that he wasn't serious.

26. lennytheduck

lennytheduck locksmith

Pre-Medical
    I had Calc 2, OChem 1 and Genetics all in the same semester and it was pretty freaking difficult. It's very doable, but if you fall behind or if you are the kind of person that needs a lot of time to do other things (party, spend time with significant other, etc) then it will be a big challenge.

Listen to me, saying these things as if they're law without even knowing you. You can definitely do it, just know what you are getting yourself into.

27. ttran01

ttran01 Member
    2+ Year Member

last semester i took principles of biology, gen chem 2, calc 1.........it wasnt bad...i had a really good teacher for chem so i didnt have to study that much because she explained everything so good....calc 1 (for the sciences, not enguneering) wasnt bad...learned from book.......bio was lots of memorization and so was labs

28. blackle

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    it sounds like you know you like the prof, and you're willing to put in how every many hours necessary, so you're good to go. I know for me, I find that success in a class isn't so much "being smart" as it is putting in the time, so when I know my courses are hard and I want that 4.0, I take fewer credits at a time. I don't know if your schedule allows you to take that kind of time (summer quarter for life!).

29. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol, glad I could make a joke out of it :laugh:
    Thanks for the help everyone.

30. akademiks1989

akademiks1989 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am taking Gen Chem 1/Calculus/Composition/Arabic only this coming semester (my first semester is 15 credits when most students are 12). After reading how much of a load you people put on your class schedule, I don't feel as competitive anymore. Is it okay to spread it all out as long as I have it done by spring of junior year?

What is specifically so hard about the overload? The memorization or what?

31. TimeResonance

TimeResonance Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

It is doable...Just depends how much time you are willing to commit. The specific problem is coming up with TIME. The reason it depends on you is how much time you will spend studying.If like me it will go something like this...... 5 pm ...."ahh time to study, im going to ace this class"..10 mins later ... "no more playing around".....15 mins later....hmmm wonder whats on SDN... nice post..should i reply?....my god another what are my chances post. Is that my CS updating.....CS time. what a party at mike's?..."ya ill go".."no wait i cant i have to play CS". 5 hours later......Test? what test?..that guy is obviously hacking.Somewhere around 4 am....."oh well, next test I will study, definantly studying next test"....The cycle repeats. The courseload factor applies when you find out that somehow the profs have scheduled all your tests the same day 1 hour apart in buildings across campus and those are just the buildings (and included rooms) you actually knew existed.

32. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student

Lol, I'm praying that won't happen.

33. MinnyGophers

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Oh yeah, finals week WILL be a bitch. Just to warn you. :scared:

34. akademiks1989

akademiks1989 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh: You convinced me! :thumbup:

35. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What about taking an online summer class? Do med schools know if it was an online class?

36. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    EMT-Basic
    Physics 2 with lab
    Organic 1
    Bio 2 with lab
    Honors History
    Intro to clinical medicine
    Weightlifting

21 credits, and I joined a research lab, did some volunteering, and was the VP of AMSA. I was busy, but sure, it's possible. Spent a lot of weekend time in the library though.

37. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Time management. You have to get up at a reasonable time on a Saturday morning, head to the library knowing that you need to:
    1. Write your biology lab report.
    2. Write your physics lab report.
    3. Look up sources for your history paper and write up 10-20 notecards.
    4. Study for Monday's organic exam!!!
    5. Plan that event your student organization is holding on Thursday.
    6. Study for Wednesday's EMT-basic exam.
    7. Read the 2-4 chapters for your history class.
    8. Read this week's paper for the research lab's upcoming meeting so you don't look stupid when everyone is discussing it.
    9. Look into the biology department scholarship, because I don't have time to work.
    10. Call the doctor's office to schedule a time to shadow, but it can't be on a day I have EMT class (Mon/Wed) or a day I've got an exam (also Mon), or when I have a lab (Tues/Thurs). See how this is going?

And that was TYPICAL. That was every week. Sometimes I'd have 2-3 exams in a week, plus a short paper (or long paper!) and a class presentation. Not to mention you need to spend some time in lab meetings, meeting with advisors, or HAVING FUN?? Yeah, right!

Undergrad was toughest when I was trying to do a dozen things simultaneously.

Try this:
    One practical exam to pass the EMT-B course.
    One written exam to pass the EMT-B course.
    One practical exam to pass the National Registry to be an EMT.
    One written exam to pass the National Registry to be an EMT.
    One organic chemistry exam the last day before finals week.
    One organic chemistry final exam.
    One biology final exam.
    One history term paper (15-17 pages).
    One physics exam three days before the last day before finals week.
    One physics final exam.

In less than 10 days, most of them being in a five day period. Let me know how you think it would go.

38. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Ya but that's your specific case. It can be different for everybody. Nevertheless, that's an impressive accomplishment.

39. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Wire Jockey Trainee
    Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    At my undergrad, this was the typical premed schedule for the first 2 years (majoring in a science, some of the non-science majors who were premed did this Soph/Junior Year instead):

Frosh Fall: Gen. Chem, Bio I or Physics I, Calc I, English
    Frosh Spring: OChem I, Bio II or Physics II, Calc II, distribution or major requirement
    Soph Fall: OChem II, Physics I or Bio I, Major req., distribution or major req.
    Sopho Spring: Biochem (in the chem department) or Inorganic, Physics II or Bio II, major req or dist req. x2

That's not to say that people didn't do it differently, this was just the typical schedule. So, at least at my undergrad (small private liberal arts school), it was more than doable. It definitely depends on the school and the profs though.

40. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thank you for your input.

41. DoctorPardi

Resident [Any Field]
    What was your GPA that semester?

42. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    DoctorPardi, I checked out your mdapplicants site - you have great stats!
    Question - how does one get EMT-B certified? Is the training extensive? I am from New York State (not sure how it varies, if it does.)

43. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    got a B in the EMT-B, because I thought it didn't matter since it was at a tech school (duh, wrong)

I got A's in everything else except a B+ in organic.

44. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    regardless, if you take three science classes, two or three of which have labs, you're going to have your work cut out for you.

45. DoctorPardi

Resident [Any Field]
    You take a one semester course usually taught at a community college. The training is not very extensive, you don't learn too much and you also don't end up with a lot of treament capabilities. It will provide you a better oppurtunity to get a job in an ER and obviously on an ambulance as well.

46. DoctorPardi

Resident [Any Field]
    Nice job.

47. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i did it... tough it out... wait till mcats

48. mvenus929

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    How about having Bio Stats in the science building, having 10 minutes to run across campus to the liberal arts building half-way across campus for organic chemistry (because there are apparently no rooms big enough in the science building to house 130 students), then having 10 minutes after that to run back to the science building, just to have another bio class? I'm sure I'll get nice and tone before the end of the semester, especially once it starts to snow. If all three of them end up having a test on the same day, I'm screwed.

49. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    there's more than one? :eek: I thought I only had to tackle one MCAT, but now you're telling me there's multiple MCATs?

50. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When I was at Johns Hopkins as an engineer/premed, I was ******ed:

A tough semester:

Chem I, Chem Lab I, Calc I, Physics I, Physics Lab I, Java Programming = DEATH

A tougher semester:
    Orgo 1, Chem Lab II, Calc II, Physics II, Physics Lab II, Digital Systems Fundamentals = DEATH and ****** STAMP ON FOREHEAD

An even tougher semester:
    ECE lab, Control Systems, Stats, Phys Found, Phys Found Lab

OMG what was I thinking semester:
    Orgo Lab, Case Studies, Phys Found Lab II, Phys Found II, Medical Imaging Systems

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE IT STOP semester:
    IFPI, Business I, Financial Accting, BME Design, BME Instrumentation, Honors Instrumentation, Research Practicum.

Don't overload. It's about the stupidest thing you can do for your GPA. Mine is shot to hell. It's dead. It's deader than dead. In fact, in Deadsville, Dead located in Dead Country on Dead Planet in the 15th Dead Solar System in all of Dead Existence, its about the deadest thing there is.

51. TSK

TSK Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took advanced general physics, ordinary&partial differential equations, and biotechnology at Yale all during the same semester in addition to other courses...While it was difficult it can be done.

My only concern for you is that orgo is extremely time consuming. While I'm assuming that you're cramming these courses into one semester b/c you don't have a choice, I don't think genetics and physics together would be too bad but adding orgo into the mix may be pushing it...

Good luck! :luck: