Chem/Bio in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Underxman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a serious question to you guys:
Two students are about to begin dental school, one is good at chemistry and the other one good at biology, whos more likely to make it through dental school? If you had to choose between those two majors when preparing for dental school, which one would it be? Supposedly you can only choose one. :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say biology, although I may be biased. The only chem classes that I ever took were general chem and organic chem. All of the other courses I can think of are biology based.

Although I think it's a moot point as long as the chem major takes these classes as well:

microbio, anatomy, genetics, physiology, cell bio, biochemistry, developmental bio, immunology..etc

Hello everyone!

I have a serious question to you guys:
Two students are about to begin dental school, one is good at chemistry and the other one good at biology, whos more likely to make it through dental school? If you had to choose between those two majors when preparing for dental school, which one would it be? Supposedly you can only choose one. :)

Thanks!
The major will have nothing really to do with it.

I was a chemistry major that had a lot of application problems. So there was minimal memorization compared to biology. My biology buddies were definitely used to memorizing oodles of information.

Does it matter? Not really. Do whatever interests you. I'd probably take more business courses/ maybe major if I had to redo it over. But now they require so many more courses these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated :)

Like DrReo said, the major doesn't matter...but I will say that take as many upper level bio courses as you can.