Chem/Bio major problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YankeesfanZF5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So right now I am a typical bio major and getting two minors (chem and psych) and was thinking of doing a chem major instead! The reason behind it was my chem department is smaller and the Professors are awesome! I think I will like the bio coursework a little more except the occasional plant class. I am thinking of taking just genetics, micro, anatomy and physiology along with my chem major. Did anybody else do this? I feel like I may get better grades in chem but sadly the scheduling means I would have to wait until I was a senior to take biochemistry so that means take MCAT spring of senior year...whereas I could take less credits a semester with plenty of time to study, work, volunteer doing bio major classes and take the MCAT junior spring! Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

except the occasional plant class.

Lol.

So you said you would probably like the biology coursework more so than the chemistry work, you would have more time for ECs, and you could take the MCAT earlier (since you presumably can take biochem earlier). Is the only positive on the chem side that you like the professors?

Reactions: 1 user
Lol.

So you said you would probably like the biology coursework more so than the chemistry work, you would have more time for ECs, and you could take the MCAT earlier (since you presumably can take biochem earlier). Is the only positive on the chem side that you like the professors?
The chem classes at my school have less people in them and bio classes are notoriously harder at my school compared to chem. My premed advisor is the head of the chem department. The other chem prof was my REU mentor so maybe better LORs? Maybe I should just go 5 years and double major haha. More time for MCAT prep and more time to shadow and volunteer I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So right now I am a typical bio major and getting two minors (chem and psych) and was thinking of doing a chem major instead! The reason behind it was my chem department is smaller and the Professors are awesome! I think I will like the bio coursework a little more except the occasional plant class. I am thinking of taking just genetics, micro, anatomy and physiology along with my chem major. Did anybody else do this? I feel like I may get better grades in chem but sadly the scheduling means I would have to wait until I was a senior to take biochemistry so that means take MCAT spring of senior year...whereas I could take less credits a semester with plenty of time to study, work, volunteer doing bio major classes and take the MCAT junior spring! Any recommendations?

plenty of people do a chem major, and just take all their med school pre-reqs that don't overlap with the major anyway
some might even snag a minor that isn't required for all of the above

super super seniors they might call them