Chem I & II and Physics I & II with labs over summer. Doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MediocreParamedic

Reaction score
Greetings all! I am looking for some advice.

I know similar questions have been asked before, but none have addressed this question specifically.

I am a non-traditional student hoping to graduate spring 2021. In order to do this, I would need to take Chem and Physics with both labs this summer. I would have to take Chem I and Physics I in the first 5-weeks and Chem II and Physics II in the second 5-weeks. Each class would also have a lab Because of COVID19, my school has moved these to online (but remote - i.e. zoom - if that matters).

Additionally:
- I will be working full-time as a paramedic on the weekend. I should, however, be able to study on shift.
- I will have a 3.52 GPA following the current semester

If I don't take these classes over the summer, I would be able to take my pre-reqs at a slower pace and potentially in-person, but my applications would be delayed a year.

Is this workload, doable or should I just wait until the fall?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Define “full-time” because that normally means 40 hours a week for a lot of places. I honestly wouldn’t advise doing that. Having taken summer courses, you are going to already be stretched thin with one class and lab, let alone two.

Reactions: 1 users
In my case, full time is 48 hours/week. I work Fri-Sat-Sun in a 12/12/24 hour schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly recommend against this plan. Doing one sequence would already be a lot but two year long sequences and working that much on weekends is a recipe for subpar performance both in classes and at work. Each of those classes are going to require a significant amount of prep work both in between class periods and on the weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
Think about it. Students struggle with these two subjects most (outside organic) in a regular semester. I'd rather take a gap year and thoroughly learn these prereqs and crush the MCAT rather than shoot myself in the foot and have a weak foundation going into MCAT prep. EC's won't excuse you from your role as a student to get stellar stats. EC's are a way of proving you're committed to medicine after witnessing what physicians go through and what patient interactions are like.

Thanks everyone for the responses! Sounds like a pretty resounding "Are you insane?!" I'll look at taking just one over the summer and take my time on the process. :)

Thanks everyone for the responses! Sounds like a pretty resounding "Are you insane?!" I'll look at taking just one over the summer and take my time on the process. :)

highly recommend taking gen chem over the summer. Having that complete will better prepare you to complete other prereqs. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

I mean you're committing to pursue a lifetime of medicine we already knew that. ;) (Just kidding)

Reactions: 1 user

I know similar questions have been asked before, but none have addressed this question specifically.

I am a non-traditional student hoping to graduate spring 2021. In order to do this, I would need to take Chem and Physics with both labs this summer. I would have to take Chem I and Physics I in the first 5-weeks and Chem II and Physics II in the second 5-weeks. Each class would also have a lab Because of COVID19, my school has moved these to online (but remote - i.e. zoom - if that matters).

Additionally:
- I will be working full-time as a paramedic on the weekend. I should, however, be able to study on shift.

If I don't take these classes over the summer, I would be able to take my pre-reqs at a slower pace and potentially in-person, but my applications would be delayed a year.

Thanks in advance!

I did a research project course, organic chem II (+lab), and physics I (+lab) in one in-person summer semester (~1.5 months), without prior physics or ochem experience. Volunteered + other ECs on the side (~5-7 hrs/week). Ended up with a 4.0 in all of them, BUT it was hard work and chose not to continue with physics II the next semester. I probably would have definitely recommended it, now that its going to be online, but with your low GPA I wouldn't risk it. Online classes are hard to focus on, so now you'll be hurdling understanding content on your own and trying to manage your time. If you have prior knowledge in chemistry and physics you could try to do it, otherwise too much of a risk. If you do plan on taking it online, I suggest you find a couple other buddies also taking it and reduce work burden by working/sharing labs assignments with each other (guessing labs are online).

I have more suicidal course load experience than anyone on this forum. Do not do this, I'm telling you this because I have attempted this. It's not fun and you will do worse in both. It's too much class time in too short a time span. I went to lecture from 7:30 to 4 without any sort of break and still had to study when I got home.

A 4-credit, 4/5 week summer course is the equivalent of full semester course load. Take one with lab if you wish, but certainly NOT 2.

In my case, full time is 48 hours/week. I work Fri-Sat-Sun in a 12/12/24 hour schedule.

In that case, absolutely not. Yeah wait until the fall, you're nuts brother/sister.

Last edited by a moderator:

Additionally:

Thanks in advance!

It is a lot of work and if was a student (in your shoes) that would be really hard for me. If you must do this, then I strongly recommend you hire a tutor to help you.

Last edited by a moderator: