Chem Minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookDude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your input. I am a sophomore Math Major / Stat Minor premed at a large private university. Recently, I went through what courses I have to take for the next two years and realized I have room for another minor. I was thinking chemistry since I only have to take 8 more credit hours of it to get a minor. However, this requires me taking a class that involves 5 hours of lab work per week for the semester that it lasts. Seeing as how I will have the MCAT to worry about, plus other ECs, is this worth taking? I do greatly enjoy chemistry, and having a science minor would be a nice contrast to my math/stat degree, but I just don't know if the time is worth it. Any help?

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the benefits of a Chem minor, but if you have time, I'd recommend a minor in a foreign language. From my understanding, it's definitely a plus on your application to have foreign language skills.

I doubt adcoms will care since a science minor won't really make you stick out.

I second the idea that foreign languages might help. But overall, just do what you want...your decision is not going to make or break your application. Just remember, gpa and MCAT are your primary concern so anything that may jeopardize performance in those areas needs further consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought all premeds were practically chem minors...

I doubt a minor really plays much of a role. But, as a Chem. major, I thought I'd mention that a couple interviewers have actually mentioned how favorably they look upon Chemistry vs. Bio. I wouldn't do the minor, unless you're positive it won't adversely affect your gpa to take the extra classes.