Chem or Biochem Major for Drug Design as an MD/PhD or as a med school backup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nopuedodecidir

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So, I'm a premed at Cornell who primarily intends on going to medical school, but would like to have a solid backup plan that I would enjoy in case things don't work out or even something that I could do as a physician-scientist. I think that what I would be most interested in doing is designing and developing drugs, whether they are small-molecule drugs or biopharmaceuticals (protein therapeutics and gene therapy are really intriguing to me). So far, I haven't taken any biochem, but I love chemistry and I got an A+ in gen chem II and orgo I. However, I see many people with biochem degrees as well working at pharma companies. Which major would be best suited for my goals: biochemistry or chemistry? Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically the same classes you'll take to obtain a chem degree is the same you'll take as a biochem major. Biochem of course has a half ratio of biology and chemistry classes. Go for Biochem.

Either would be ok, with biochem probably more a little bit more applicable. If you go MD or MD/PhD you'll find the differences between the two majors won't make a difference.

If your interest is in drug design (btw I wouldn't classify gene therapy as a drug) then why the MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
My research is with a biochem/pharm lab solving protein structures to design vaccines. One grad student was a chem major, one did biochem, and another biology--> They are all going into industry when finished. There is also a MD/PhD student who did.

Whichever major you choose will get you where you want to go

There are lots of different ways to go that route. The best thing to do is to go either Biochem or Chem or ChemEngineering or BME and get some experience in undergrad in drug development or research. Once you get your PhD all you have to do is have a CV industry likes. Couple of grad students in my lab (Chemistry) have gone to work for drug companies and our research is not immediately drug related