Chem or Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lzbthcox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to map out the next several years, making sure I squeeze in all of the classes I need. I can't seem to find a cut clear answer on if I should major in Chem or Biology. I have several college's *suggested tracks* in my room and none of them even say to take A&P. :confused: I don't know. I'm really new at all of this and I was thinking A&P would be something to take, since they make all the nursing students and such take it. Anyone know which side I should head toward or have a link for a good ideal track? Or let me know what you took?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people claim courses for a biology major are as a whole easier than courses for a chemistry major. It depends on your individual strengths and weaknesses, though. Neither will give you an edge in admissions, since even history and music majors get in if they have the grades.

Logistically, I'd go with biology just because it will fulfill biochemistry and advanced biology elective course requirements for all the dental schools out there that require more than just 8 credits of biology. This leaves you more time to take easy GPA-booster courses over the years. It'd be easy to fit biology courses in as a chem major, but would leave you less time to take the easy courses that would boost your GPA as electives.

You have to play the game, which means get a really high GPA at all costs. No one is more impressed by a chem major with a 3.4 over a bio major with a 3.6. If you think you can get a 4.0 in Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, advanced Inorganic Chemistry, advanced mathematics, etc., though, then by all means go with chemistry. I personally find it very interesting, as do many.

Take A&P if you want. I never took it but I am taking Comparative Anatomy now. As for Bio or chem major that is up to you. Though if you do not major in bio I highly suggest you still take Molecular Cell Biology. The chem major biochemistry will be extremely useful as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
word of advice from a chem major.... only do chemistry if you truly love chemistry and everything about it... tons of physics and math in upper levels and a true understanding is needed.

I'd vote for bio just cause chem major doesn't fulfill all the pre-reqs for dental school.... most of the pre-reqs are bio apart from gchem/ochem.. and stuff like achem/physical chem isn't too important for dental school...
and about a&p.. i actually talked to our pre-health advisor about that cause i chose it as an upper division bio elective for my biology degree and he told me to do microbiology instead if i'm pre-dent...

about a&p.. i actually talked to our pre-health advisor about that cause i chose it as an upper division bio elective for my biology degree and he told me to do microbiology instead if i'm pre-dent...
Oh wow ty! My advisor is um.. less than helpful with dent lol For example: I asked him if I should apply to more than just our state school (with hopes of getting into the state school) and what the stats were on how many schools people apply to each year. And he just stared at me. Then told me was affiliated with the state and couldn't suggest I apply anywhere else. :laugh: I asked about the mapping for my degree and he suggested a mostly chem outline, but wouldn't help me decide on a major/minor. :rolleyes: He IS setting up my shadowing though, so it isn't TOTALLY useless. lmao

Also, did you guys try to get your pre-req's done before your senior year? Would that make you more of a competitive candidate because you've already completed it?

About how many hours a semester do you take? I started with 13 this time due to me being out of shcool for um.. 7 years. :oops: I was thinking of bumping up to 18-19 next semester.

Thank you all so much for your replies! :D

About how many hours a semester do you take? I started with 13 this time due to me being out of shcool for um.. 7 years. :oops: I was thinking of bumping up to 18-19 next semester.

I shoot for 16 per semester. I've heard people going all out and doing well over 20+, but I wouldn't reccomend this until you're a couple of years in and are completely comfortable with massive work loads.

taking 18 this semester but 2 hours is a blow off class i'm doing just for units...
getting done with pre-reqs before senior yr also lets schools see those grades on the application.. especially if you wanna turn in your app once the online thing opens.. so i guess it's another plus for getting them over with before senior yr.. and i'd imagine it'd be a little hectic to go through interviews and stuff with science classes...

Thank you all so much for your helpful info. I *think* I've just about got it mapped. Thank you again. :D