1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chem or natural science minor?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SuzyQ, Sep 26, 2002.

1. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok so I am taking quantative analysis and this is the last class I need for a chem minor. With all of the science classes ive taken I also have a natural science minor. Right now, I am having a tough time in quant and was thinkingn about dropping so I don't screw up my GPA. Do you think that a chem minor would look better than a natural science minor to adcoms? I dont know what to do......Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I don't think it matter either way. A LOT of student walk in with a minor in chem, perhaps a natural sci. minor will make them gice you a second look and say, "Huh?" When ever they look at your application more than once is a good thing. Not to mention the really question, "How will quant. ever help you in medical school? I'm getting a chem minor just because it is just a couple extra classes after all the med req and the bio major stuff. I could have taken quant for one semester and had the minor done, or I could take two semester of biochemistry. I ask a prof that also does interviews and DMU and he said to take biochem. Quant is a class that has no application unless you want to go into research.

Basically, if it is giving you a terrible time and you think you may get below a B, I would say drop it.

4. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would say that the minor would be a pretty small piece of the picture and that either one would do fine. I would think pretty hard about dropping quantative analysis though. If you're not able to do well then I suppose you need to do what you think is right but keep in mind that the WD will appear on your transcripts and AMCOMMAS/AMCAS application.

5. phil413ru

phil413ru Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would go ahead a drop the class. I am in the same situation--I am one class (analytical chem) short of a chem minor and one class short of a relgion minor. Furthermore, I am 2 bio credits short of a B.S. However, I don't think the minor really matters. After all, you do not even have to have a science MAJOR to get into Med school. I chose to take a liberal arts class instead of chem, because I like Psychology, and it would give me a chance to be more well rounded. I am no expert, but if I were on an admission committee, if I had two identicallyqualified canidates, one with science minor, I would want the canidate who has had classed outside of science. This shows that one is well rounded. I would suggest psychology, language, writing or communications--all important skills in Medical world of patient care. (And a lot more pertinant than analytic chem--unless you plan on reseach);)

6. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

See the problem is im graduating next may and am applying to med schools right now so I dont have time to pick a different minor. I can either stick with chem or do the natural science since i have enough classes for that minor. Since I alrady stated that I am a chem minor on my primary accomas application would it look bad to send a letter to each school i applied to and tell them im not a chem minor anymore if i drop the class?

7. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I don't think it will really matter if you change you minor and don't tell them. If you get a secondary, I don't think it will based on the fact that you had a minor in chem. When the secondary comes, them perhaps mention that it has changed. I really don't think something that trivial will matter to them. Like always, give a couple schools a call and ask if you need to inform them of the change.

8. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

I would have to disagree with most of you about dropping quant. As long as you pass the class and your overall gpa stays over a 3.0 and your science gpa stays over a 3.0, then stick it out. I had my interview at Touro in August and one of the student in my group interview was slammed by an interviewer for not having enough hard science classes to prepare him for medical school. The same interviewer then asked me about my degree. Specifically because I got a business degree and then decided that I wanted to go to medical school and choose to take a really hard major so that I could be really prepared for med school. I am finishing a chemistry degree now and this was a really big point and won me a thumbs up from the interview committee because even though I only had a 3.2 science gpa, I had chosen to stick out the challenging science classes to help me in the future. Their perception of me was not that I had exceptional grades, it was that I was willing to take the hard classes to give me a better chance when I finally got to be a med student. It paid off with a big reward because I was offered an acceptance three days later.

9. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for all of your advice :) I do think I am going to stick it out. I mean, I am a Bio major and have a 3.8 GPA so I guess I can risk doing so so in this class. I would really like an A in this class but I dont think its gonna happen....oh well, this is like my only hard class this semester so I'll get through it.

10. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have to agree with maysqrd (she is a former clasmate, so I'm obligated). As a holder of a degree in chemistry and an employee in a biochemistry lab (very qualitative). I have to say that my experience in quant was probably the most valuable of all classes I took for my degree. It basically lays the backbone for all good scientific work and data analysis. Anyone who skips this class (minor or no minor) has done themselves a great disservice. If you are going to work in the sciences, and yes, medicine is a science, then you need to be meticulous. Quantitative Analysis, boring as it is, is what will teach you this. Besides, it will help you infinitely on the MCAT.

Russell