Chem PhD nontraditional with limited clinical experience but otherwise good app - what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1039510

Hey guys, I’m a non traditional MD applicant looking at applying this May 2020 and I need advice. I have a PhD in chemistry from a top 5 school, lots of research, > 10 publications, GPA 3.8, and have worked the last two years in biotech/pharma consulting. MCAT is in April but have been getting around 520 on AAMC FLs so anticipating a good score. I have ~65 hours of shadowing across a few specialties but otherwise no clinical experience. Have ~300 hours volunteering with an education non-profit in grad school. Do you think I have a shot? I’m also having a hard time figuring out how to get actual clinical experience - have applied to a bunch of volunteer things but no response (and I work full time with pretty demanding hours)... so any ideas there would be helpful. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I’m a non traditional MD applicant looking at applying this May 2020 and I need advice. I have a PhD in chemistry from a top 5 school, lots of research, > 10 publications, GPA 3.8, and have worked the last two years in biotech/pharma consulting. MCAT is in April but have been getting around 520 on AAMC FLs so anticipating a good score. I have ~65 hours of shadowing across a few specialties but otherwise no clinical experience. Have ~300 hours volunteering with an education non-profit in grad school. Do you think I have a shot? I’m also having a hard time figuring out how to get actual clinical experience - have applied to a bunch of volunteer things but no response (and I work full time with pretty demanding hours)... so any ideas there would be helpful. Thanks!!
What are you going to say when asked how you know you are suited for a life of caring for the sick and suffering? “That you just know”? Imagine how that will go over!

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a similar background and was ultimately somewhat successful but started clinical volunteering about a year before the app cycle. You should get a volunteer position at a hospital ASAP and apply in May/June 2021.

Reactions: 2 users