Chem/Physics Ratio on PS section Bio/Orgo Ratio on BS section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwertyx5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty much exactly what the title says. Are there any established ratios for the BS and PS sections, or is it different for every test?

Members don't see this ad.

It can vary from test to test but it is roughly 50/50 GChem/Physics and 80/20 Bio/OChem.

It's interesting to look at the recent trends in MCAT test writing and exactly how the test is proportioned now a days. In my opinion and from speaking w/ others it seems as though gen chem material usually outweighs physics sometimes even by a considerable amount. I can tell that my MCAT had 2 physics passages only, but that doesn't really say much.

As for the BS, organic definitely seems to be getting phased out of the exam. If you look at some recent MCAT's, there was very little orgo. My MCAT had only 1 orgo passage.

Hope this helps a bit. If your looking for a way to quantify this or if your looking for some numbers good luck b/c it would be difficult to do that

AAMC is doing a great job at being unpredictable, which means that people need to thoroughly study everything still.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i say more gen chem but if u go through TBR gen chem, you should be peachy. In fact, i hope it stays this way. in my recent MCAT i had one ochem passage but a good number of ochem discretes. Things u wouldn't expect if you do superficial review for ochem. People who took it in june kept screaming GENETICS like it was all there is and that freaked me out. i had only one genetics passage, a discrete and based on my knowledge from my basic bio 110 course, it was easy. Molecular bio was tested along with a good amount of physiology ( i thought they said genetics was replacing physio. go figure!)

My advice, it's ok to read post mcat threads but don't let them get to you. I suggest you do a comprehensive review and cover all your bases. Someone told me you'll always see a fluid question on the MCAT. i highly doubted it but i did get one dressed in suit (disguised). it was an easy one though. Just cover all your bases thoroughly.

Knowing the general breakdown won't help you much, in fact it might hurt. Just study everything with emphasis on your trouble areas. My PS section was pretty much 80/20 gen chem/physics, although obviously that's atypical.