1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chem prereq

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by greniedgal, Sep 3, 2002.

1. greniedgal

greniedgal Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey everyone. I was wondering if you guys could give me some input. A few schools have told me that Biochem would count as one of the semesters of "inorganic chem" that is a prereq. Does anyone know whether this is common knowledge, ie that most schools look at a semester of Biochem (in the chem dept) as fulfilling a semester of inorganic? I'm a postbac student and I'm trying to plan my schedule of prereqs accordingly but don't want to have to take more classes than necessary. I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

I might be wrong, but I think when they say inorganic chem, they're talking about general chemistry, as opposed to organic chemistry. As long as you've had 8 credits of general chemistry, you should have fulfilled the requirement.

Although I'd suggest you take biochem anyway because it will help with the MCAT. If you get into med school you'll be thanking god you took it.

4. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I have not seen them say bio chem replaces inorganic, but I have seen a few school stat that it could be used in place of the second semester of organic.

A side note: If you have the time, take biochem anyway. All my friends in medical schools are all saying that it is well worth taking before you get in.

5. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Is it 8 credits or 8 credit hours?

6. Fenrezz

7+ Year Member

I thought those meant the same thing. Usually 8 credits means Chem I with the lab and Chem II with the lab will suffice (3 credits each lecture and 1 credit for each lab).

7. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

They can mean the same thing, but usually don't in the science classes (atleast at my school). The g-chem 1 I took was only 3 credits a semester, but more than 3 hours per semester. Do you get what I am trying to say? I'm wondering if I need to retake g-chem 1&2 because they are only a total of 6 credits (with lab) instead of the 8 required by most schools.

8. Fenrezz

7+ Year Member

Well that you may have to ask each school. I think schools might let you get away with it because they usually mean 2 lectures and 2 labs when they say 8 credits.

Sorry, I've never seen a situation where both chem's equaled only 6 credits, so I don't know how med schools will treat that situation.

9. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks Fenrezz

Does anyone else know anything more?

10. Student247

Student247 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm in the exact same boat. I took G-Chem I and II and I only received 6 units. I've asked several Osteo school and many have suggested that it depends on the content of the class. If the class included a lab then you might be alright. They will probably ask for a class syllabi and letter from your four year university stating that the courses met the required criterion. however, I have had school tell straight up that 6 units will not be enough, and that I need to complete 2 more units in order meet the standard. So, I wouln't worry about it until you here directly from the schools you are applying to. Hope this helps.

Student247