Chem question dealing with the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going through the chemistry material and was wondering how much of the periodic table should we know? I have it memorized all the way till period 4.
Also just wondering, do I need to know the atomic weights of the elements, or is that given to you.

Members don't see this ad.

You will only need to know the atomic numbers and weights, rounded off to the nearest whole number usually for weight, so oxygen is usually 16, carbon is 12... for carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen. The other ones, not so much. Don't bother putting time in memorizing all the other atomic numbers and weights.

But however, you *do* have to know the periodic table trends, like electronegativity increases across a period and such.

thanks mug3n:)

You will only need to know the atomic numbers and weights, rounded off to the nearest whole number usually for weight, so oxygen is usually 16, carbon is 12... for carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen. The other ones, not so much. Don't bother putting time in memorizing all the other atomic numbers and weights.

But however, you *do* have to know the periodic table trends, like electronegativity increases across a period and such.