Chem vs Organic Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOBENGALS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew if DPT programs accept Organic Chem as an acceptable substitute for General Chem II. I switched majors a couple of times and didn't end up taking the 2nd half of General Chem.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any schools will let you sub O-chem for either general chem. I think it's been asked before on here for chem I, and the answer was no. Too bad, as hard as O-chem supposedly is..

Majority of the schools won't allow you to sub another chemistry course for general chemistry. However, two different PT schools allowed me to sub my chem II for organic survey course. Point is, you never know until you call/email the actual amissions director.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got confirmation from Texas State and the University of Minnesota that they would allow me to substitute Physiological Chem I & II for General Chem. I don't know about Organic, but the Phys Chem takes components of all 3 and rolls them into one, so maybe that made a difference. I just called them up, emailed them the course descriptions along with my transcript and within hours had an OK for the substitution. Call the schools and ask the Admissions Director.

You will have to contact each school about this. They will probably ask you for class descriptions etc to approve.

definitely contact the schools. and don't necessarily trust what the websites say. the websites often say that you are "required" to take certain courses, but if you talk to them, they'll accept equivalent courses. I got a few substitutions just by asking.

thanks for the advice and help!!~
ive actually seen a few schools that require 1 gen chem course and a 2nd gen chem course or upper divisional chem course (eg orgo). just needs a lab. not saying that applies everywhere, but im willing to bet some schools would accept that. i mean why not? orgo is apparently a lot harder. and lets be real...we're not going to really be using much of this crap when we get into school.

I had the same issue when I applied this year with my chem pre-req. In undergrad., I took 1 qtr of general chemistry since other 2 qtrs were fulfilled with my AP credits, and a yr of organic chemistry. One PT school required me to take the second semester of general chem with lab, and another PT school would take my org chem series. In the end, it's all up to the PT school.

So, the best way to solve it is to call each program advisor specifically to tell them what credits you have and what credits they will take.