1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chemical/Biomedical Engineering Masters

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by ChemMasc, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ChemMasc

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I'm in my first year of master's and am working on stem cell biology. I have long thought of applying to medical school but have decided i should stay in research.Now I am reconsidering that choice. I have done my undergrad in chemical engineering and have a cgpa of 3.78, and sgpa of 3.9. My grad gpa's are likely going to be higher than that. I've signed up for a TPR class starting in Jan and am writing the MCAT's in april. I do have a bit of bio background but the bio section seems to be my biggest challenge.I've heard different rumours about engineering/grad student applications to med school and I was hoping to get some clarification on that.
    1- How does an undergrad engineering degree effect your chances of getting in (considering you have all the prereqs)?
    2- Is there any preference for grad students?
    3- I don't have any clinical experience but do have research experience, hows that going to affect my application?
    Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    1) An undergrad degree in Engineering decreases your chances of acceptance to med school because the courses are so difficult that one's GPA tends to be significantly lower. Happily, that is not an issue for you.

2) As a general rule, having a graduate degree doesn't help you. But it is considered to be a nice "Experience". You will be judged by undergraduate GPA and MCAT score. An exception to this is an SMP, or Special Masters Program designed specifically for low-GPA individuals to prove themselves. I think it likely that there are some med schools out there that will be swayed positively by a science-intense (not engineering, as AMCAS doesn't count this as science) masters, if the graduate GPA is high.

3) Research experience is desirable, but not required. Having it will definitely give you points and increase the number of schools willing to consider you. Clinical experience and community service are required. The average person has 1.5 years of these, often combined into a volunteer clinical experience which covers both expectations. I'd get something started ASAP!

4. MeatTornado

MeatTornado On Sabbatical
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    1. it seems that schools understand that engineering classes are harder and will cut you some slack and given the fact that you had a high GPA in an extremely difficult major that will be viewed favorably.

i'll agree with Mobius' #2 and 3