Chemical Engineer Low GPA Need advice!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc8pg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice on whether or not I should retake my MCAT.
I took my mcat on 5/31 n got a 32N (9 VR 11 PS 12 BS).
I have a 3.5 cGPA/ 3.45 sGPA in chemical engineering at a top public university and I am currently a rising 4th year.
Here are my ECs i currently have:
80+ hrs volunteering (special olmpics, hospital, charities)
50+ hrs shadowing (ER, anesthesiology, radiology, vascular surgery)
2 summers of Research at a biomaterial/biointerface lab (no publications)
2 months of teaching english at foreign country
1 summer internship at a investment bank as a financial analyst (wanted to explore something new)

I know my GPA is not great, so I am thinking I should retake MCAT to compensate for it. But I also think I need more volunteering. Do you think its worth retaking the MCAT??? or just dedicate most of my time improving my EC????
also im looking into mid-tier schools....
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

With a major like ChemE the school you go to may make a difference... By top public are we talking like Purdue or more of a regional school?

Suggest improving the ECs. I have applicants who have many more hours of patient contact experience than that. AdComs do like to see your altruistic side. You may be OK as is for your state school, but even witht hat MCAT, you're right on the borderline of acceptability. I'd shoot more for the low-tier schools, like rosy franklin or NYMC, and maybe only 1-2 mid-tiers that are close to your heart. Good luck!

Hey guys I need some advice on whether or not I should retake my MCAT.
I took my mcat on 5/31 n got a 32N (9 VR 11 PS 12 BS).
I have a 3.5 cGPA/ 3.45 sGPA in chemical engineering at a top public university and I am currently a rising 4th year.
Here are my ECs i currently have:
80+ hrs volunteering (special olmpics, hospital, charities)
50+ hrs shadowing (ER, anesthesiology, radiology, vascular surgery)
2 summers of Research at a biomaterial/biointerface lab (no publications)
2 months of teaching english at foreign country
1 summer internship at a investment bank as a financial analyst (wanted to explore something new)

I know my GPA is not great, so I am thinking I should retake MCAT to compensate for it. But I also think I need more volunteering. Do you think its worth retaking the MCAT??? or just dedicate most of my time improving my EC????
also im looking into mid-tier schools....
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply,
Top public university nationally. N I'm not confident that I can make a significant difference..maybe 34..I only studied a month and a half for my first mcat bc I wanted to apply during this cycle n choose a early date so my mcat score gets released earlier...
Is a (2-3) point jump even worth it?!?

Of course 2-3 jump is really worth it. There's a big difference between a 29 and 31 or 32.

Of course 2-3 jump is really worth it. There's a big difference between a 29 and 31 or 32.

A 2-3 point jump isn't always that significant. While there is a big difference between a 29 and a 32, schools could see this as the difference between being able to pass Step 1 and not being able to. On the other hand, the difference between a 32 and a 35 isn't as significant unless applying to a top school. Going from a 36-39 has even less importance, because at that point you would already be in the 90th percentile at most schools, and the each point difference only amounts to one or two questions missed.