Chemical engineering graduate seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemengineer123

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this website, please let me know if there is a separate thread where I can find these answers.

I am about to graduate with a chemical engineering degree this May. I would like to finish some pre-med courses (Bio 2 with lab and other courses such as anatomy etc.) that I was not able to take during my undergraduate career. I was wondering whether MD or DO schools look down upon taking these courses at a community college if you graduated from a 4 year university. Also, if anyone has any advice for how to handle finishing up these requirements if community colleges is not the best option, I would greatly appreciate that. (I went to undergraduate out of state with a large academic scholarship offered - unfortunately finishing up these courses over the summer after graduation is not financially feasible without the scholarship)

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I am about to graduate with a chemical engineering degree this May. I would like to finish some pre-med courses (Bio 2 with lab and other courses such as anatomy etc.) that I was not able to take during my undergraduate career. I was wondering whether MD or DO schools look down upon taking these courses at a community college if you graduated from a 4 year university. Also, if anyone has any advice for how to handle finishing up these requirements if community colleges is not the best option, I would greatly appreciate that. (I went to undergraduate out of state with a large academic scholarship offered - unfortunately finishing up these courses over the summer after graduation is not financially feasible without the scholarship)
Some med schools' websites specifically state that CC coursework is less desirable. It would be helpful if you have a general idea of schools you'd target so you can look them up.

For general purposes, taking CC prerequisite coursework for a postbac won't be a problem, unless the classes lack the rigor necessary to adequately prepare you for the MCAT. An exception might be if your cGPA and BCPM GPA currently aren't very competitive for MD schools, in which case taking the most stringent university classes and proving you can earn As would benefit your application.

I agree with the poster above - get a copy of the MSAR which will detail each school's policies regarding AP/CC credits. Most dont have a problem with it, some state that it is accepted on a case by case basis.

If you're only looking to complete the prereqs then CC is fine. For my post bac, I took the first year of bio and gen chem at a CC before switching to a 4 year university for upper orgo, physics, and upper level bio. n=1 but during my one interview I was not asked about taking classes at a CC or why I submitted 7 transcripts.

How community college classes are viewed depends on the situation. If it appears that you took CC classes to avoid more rigorous classes at a 4-year college, that will count against you. If you have otherwise shown that you can handle rigorous classes, and it appears that you took CC classes for financial reasons or due to geographic proximity, that will not count against you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user