Chemical Engineering student seeking advice on Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrbayoubengal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman chemical engineering student who is interested in attending medical school and becoming a doctor. I am very dedicated to my studies and I am very strong in the sciences/math. I don't complain about course loads and I have a love of learning everything (I just dislike English ) I hate English, but I make A's on all my essays. I am also good at explaining and expressing my ideas. My biology, chemistry, and other classes all come easy to me. I'm making all A's. I'm making A's in math too, I just don't see it as meaning as helping out my fellow man. I really do enjoy every bit of information I can put in my head. Just thinking or talking about any type of science gets my blood going. I really don't like doing anything else but learning. When I have time off I don't know what to do with myself but read and study different things. I also realize that helping and serving people is where I want to be. Engineering is fun, but I guess it is my backup plan. If I was to major in pure science like chemistry or biology it wouldn't be that much of a challenge for me. I just about have a photographic memory when it comes to terms, concepts, and diagrams. I usually just have to read or look over something once and it is committed to memory. I have really good study habits. I rather have the science background and an engineer’s thought process. There is so much more to life than just working with numbers. I want to be a lifelong learner. I already know what it is to work long hours. I've pulled 80 to 90 hours a week working at a manufacturing plant for the past two summers. Working is nothing new to me. I would probably like to do something cardiovascular or cancer related. The reason for that is I’ve seen both of my grandpa’s pass away from strokes and heart disease. I’ve also seen the battle my uncle fought with cancer and how it took his life. I know what it is for family to go through something like that. I want to do anything I can to help people in the future and increase the knowledge we have on these issues. I would like to know what anyone would recommend me doing to prepare for the MCAT and being completive for medical school. I would like to know which classes to take that would benefit me the most and help me out in preparing for the MCAT. Should I volunteer my time at a hospital or should I seek internships for chemical engineering related industries. I would like to know if the volunteer work is required and how many hours I should look to obtain. The chemical engineering degree will already cover all of the chemistry and physics. I think I will have to take an extra physics lab though. Also, the degree requires biology, but I would like to know how many biology and biology lab classes I would have to take to meet the requirements for med school. What are the basic requirements for med schools across the country or does it differ from place to place. Any advice you can offer on this subject will be appreciated. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also freshman engineering (BME) who plans on going to medical school. I looked at several different schools according to Hopkins you need only 8 semester hours of Bio with lab (link: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/admissions/apps.html), Harvard requires the same (link: http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=requirements). So, it seems you only need two classes (molecular and cellular biology) If you can meet these schools requirements, I assume that you fit most schools requirements too, but I would check with actual med students (The schools may 'encourage' more advance bio and not actually require it). Hope my info helps.

Also, the degree requires biology, but I would like to know how many biology and biology lab classes I would have to take to meet the requirements for med school. What are the basic requirements for med schools across the country or does it differ from place to place. Any advice you can offer on this subject will be appreciated. Thank You.

Most med schools require Bio 1 and 2, Gen Chem 1 and 2, and Phys 1 and 2 and Organic Chem 1 and 2.
Some require Biochem 1 and 2 and Calculus, and of course a degree.

Last edited:
I graduated last year in biochemical engineering (same as chemical but our senior courses are tailored more towards work in the bio-pharm/bio-tech industries), and I'm applying now to med school (after a year off working in biotech). Throughout college I deliberated between engineering and medicine, and took the time to explore both (I held engineering internships most summers and engineering jobs throughout school, but also volunteered at the hospital and worked as an EMT when I had time). I'd say take the opportunity to at least gain some experience as an engineer - not only does it give you a great comparison of the two fields, but it also helps to fund your application process.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!