1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chemical forumlas in Kreb's Cycle and Glycolysis...

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by passion2K7, Dec 7, 2005.

1. passion2K7

passion2K7 New Member

Hey guys,

I am currently studying metabolism stuff, and have a quick question. I wanted to know if I need to know the chemical forumlas in Glycolysis and Kreb's cycle for the MCAT.

-Passion2k7

2. anon-y-mouse

anon-y-mouse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    no
    just which steps are aerobic / anaerobic. recognize pyruvate as 1/2 glucose too.

3. OP
    OP
    passion2K7

passion2K7 New Member

Thx for the quick reply.

When you say which steps are anaerobic/aerobic, you mean glycolysis+pyruvate oxidation+cytric acid cycle+respiratory chain for aerobic vs. glycolysis+fermentation for anaerobic?

For glycolysis, I know that it changes glucose (6c molecule) to two pyruvate (3c molecules), NAD+ into NADH +H, and 2 ADP+ PI -> 2 ATP's. Am I responsible for 10 steps within glycolysis. They seem to contain too much detail, and all I remember now is just that the first half steps are endergonic, while the rest are exergenic (enever-harvesting reactions to produce ATP's).

For the Kreb's cycle, am I responsible for each step (such as taking NAD+ -> NADH + H & CO2 when going from Isocitrate to a-Ketoglutarate... etc)?

Again, thx for the replies! =)

4. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For class you might need to know them (I did) but I think it is beyond the scope of the MCAT.

They won't ask a stand alone about the 6th step of the krebs and the enzyme used.

5. anon-y-mouse

anon-y-mouse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yes, you heard me right

and you should know that NADH is the 'charged' form... reduced

ps, brett, have you taken the mcat yet :) I see your posts everywhere, what stage in the application process are you?

6. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm prepping now yet I have obtained a wealth of info from various places.

7. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    in o-chem section of mine had to know stucture (fischer projections) of various sugars (like fructose, glucose, galactose) at least biochem was good for something.........

8. Twitch

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anything else from biochem?