1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chemistry and Biology Question...Please Help Me!!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by clc8503, Dec 20, 2005.

1. clc8503

clc8503 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don’t worry, this is not another one of those “what are my chances questions” but I need some advice from you guys on rather I should retake two classes. I just graduated with a degree in Medical Technology and a minor in Health Information Administrations. I have not always known that I wanted to go to medical school and I got a “C” in the first general biology, and a”C” in chemistry. 101 (A’s in the labs though) under the hardest professor at my school (I know that plays little relevance in this matter). But I still graduated with a BCPM gpa of 3.20 (with upper level biology classes, an introductory biochemistry class, along with the complete organics set) I have a cum gpa of 3.41.After I decided that I wanted to go to medical school, I took the Organic Chemistry set, as well as the Physics set and got an A’s in all of them (at another university). My MCAT was 9-BS, 7PS, 9VR. Cum =25. Do you guys think the rest of my numbers make up for those two C’s? The reason I’m asking is because they are part of the basic prerequisites for medical school, so wouldn’t a med school committee still look at those two C’s pretty hard despite the fact that I have excelled in upper level science courses? I apologize if this question annoys any of you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Don't retake C's. Most people get in with WAY more than 2 C's.

4. packerfan

packerfan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a degree im med tech from 1984 and had a C in a quarter of bio and a C in a quarter of gen chem. I went on to take harder chemistry classes (analytical) and in recent post bacc work did a 4.0 for physics and labs. I was offered an interveiw prior to my LORs arriving . I have a strong personal statement and MCAT ps9 v10 bs8 and Q. If you are strong in recent work the cs should not effect you too much.

5. packerfan

packerfan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Oh. by the way I am NSU 2010

6. clc8503

clc8503 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's pretty cool. I only went to school with a few med tech/premeds. Did you just not like doing all of that laboratory work? Also, did having a degree in healthcare make you a more desirable applicant?

7. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't re-take it either.

8. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you said BCMP. You know that math is not calculated in your science GPA for osteopathic schools? Recalculate the science GPA and get back to us if you want. 2 C's in your Science GPA is not going to hurt your chances of getting into Osteopathic schools. when are you applying to med school?

9. clc8503

clc8503 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm going to apply early next fall for 07. I'm finished with pre-med and undergrad and I'm really just trying to make sence of things right now (working full time as a med tech). I would like to thank all of you for your advice and your words of encouragment. I'm not going to retake those classes.

10. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Apply in the summer if you can ;)