Chemistry at uni vs community college please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceex0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys so I am currently attending a community college and I have been there for about a year and a half. I have around 32 credits since i have dropped a few classes. I applied to U of M Dearborn and and got accepted and I'm excited about going and moving towards my dreams of becoming a dentist however.. I just found out that I need pre calc before chemistry so my plans to take gen chem in fall and continue the rest of my chem courses in 2 years are shot. Since I suck at math and have put it off until now and I have two courses to take this spring and summer in order to take pre calc in fall at my college. So should I just stay a semester at my college and do Chemistry there since you just have to take a placement exam (which I heard was easy) but I've never had any chemistry before. Or should I take math at CC and whatever other classes I can at university. I hope this makes sense and you guys can help me out.

BTW after spring& summer I will be at about 45 credits and I want to graduate in no longer than two and a half years maybe two if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Mm I've heard that adcoms don't really like science classes taken from a community college but maybe someone with experience would have more information on this.

Reactions: 1 user
They dont.

Admissions usually favor pre reqs at 4 year schools and for good reasons.

Some schools do not allow pre reqs at CC whatsoever *cough* Tufts *cough*
http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/dmd-program/

My advise is to do whatever you can to avoid taking hard sciences at CC, best reserve those for uni.

Reactions: 1 user