Chemistry Based Biochem Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian Premed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm doing research under a professor in the Biology department right now. I was wondering if I start doing research in the Chemistry department in a Biochemistry lab, will that be any good or do they just want to see Biology based research?

Members don't see this ad.

That would be fine. For application purposes, you should do research in a lab that you can get published in.

As for which type of science... I think they probably just want some hypothesis-based, hard-science research.

I think the most important aspect is to choose a lab where they are doing research you are enthusiastic about whether it be chemistry, biology, physics... sociology, art history... whatever. Research can be grueling and often frustrating, so if you actually find the stuff interesting you'll be able to get through the lows and put in the extra work, perhaps publishing your work, but at least showing the drive and developing skills that can make you an attractive applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that publishing is a requirement at all. I do think that being able to talk intelligently to any interviewer about the ins and outs of your research is important. If you can do that, and do it enthusiastically w/o looking like a tool, you're golden.

Publishing is cool though. I may get published, but I already got accepted w/o it. If you get it, fine, if not, just make sure you're at least somewhat interested in it and can make it sound important or interesting.