Chemistry Labs and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this issue, and how he or she dealt with it:

Next quarter I have a chemistry lab that meets for 3 hours each on Tuesdays and Thursdays. While I haven't yet scheduled any out of state interviews during that quarter, I probably will. I can't attend another session since they all meet tuesdays and thursdays. I can't schedule it for the following quarter since I will be taking a different twice-a-week lab. I will be talking to the professor about this soon, but in general, you can't pass the class if you miss any of the labs, and in this case each lab leads to the next (long synthesis) so it would be doubly impossible.

Thanks for any ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having this issue...so I dropped the class on the first day of the class :)

At my school they can usually "rearrange" things so that you can get thru the lab. Sometimes you'll have to do it during some other lab taking place during school hours (ie. if your school has a different sequence of orgo labs at another time or even just an altogether different class booked into that lab). Other times they'll let you come in when nothing is going on in that lab and work on it on your own with somebody checking in every once in awhile to make sure you don't blow up the lab lol. Definitely talk to your potential lab prof, and maybe the head of the chemistry dept and see what can be worked out. Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

--Jessica, UCCS

Members don't see this ad :)
IT's called suck it up and deal with it. It's not impossible, you're freakin' out (like almost all the othe pre-meds on here)

Geez let me help

a)take the class a differnet semester
b) take the class and miss class
c) talk with TA
d) talk with prof
e) talk with Dean
f) make up lab with another lab session
g) get notes from labpartner (or good friend taking the class)

yep, i have this problem now, and this is my last quarter too! i told the prof about a month in advance when i absolutely had to miss one day. he was cool with it since i let him know so early. for the other interviews, i scheduled them on my non-lab days. i recommend taking your lab another semester if possible. otherwise, try not to miss more than once. good luck!