Chemistry Major A Must?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VS37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey what's going on guys? I'm currently a sophomore, first year science student and highly interested in pursuing in Pharmacy. I competed first semester chemistry with a C+, (must have just missed a B, I love how teachers don't answer emails after final exams smh but back on topic), this semester on track to get a B/B+. Also In calculus 1 right now I received a C on my first exam but it seems to getting easier as the course goes on. Besides the chemistry/math courses my GPA was like a 3.7, currently is a 3.5 and I have a long way to go as a chemistry major.

Now my dilemma as a chemistry major I am obligated to take Calc 1-2, General 1-2,Organic 1-2, Analytical chem, Physical chem, Bio Chem, and I believe Physics. Now taking all of these course my GPA will drop & I will struggle to receive a B in these further courses. Besides all the chemistry requirements I will also have to take A/P etc for requirements for Pharmacy school.

I was thinking about dropping chemistry as a major, finishing up all the requirements for Pharm School and majoring in Pysc since I could keep my GPA up with Pysc Classes.

How would pharmacy schools observe my transcript if I just had their required classes. (Basically omitting Calc II, Physical Chem, Analytical Chem,and possibly Bio Chem), and a major in Psycpretty good GPA?

If I keep my major (chemistry) my next semester will at least Consist of the following sciences:
Analytical Chem or A/P (conflicting schedules)
Orgo + Lab
Physics+ Lab

Some advice? Thanks For Your Time.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy schools require you to fulfill their pre-reqs. That's it. Whether you have a degree or not is secondary.

I feel like I'm being trolled so hard.

Well, good luck gaming the system... or you could just learn to, you know, study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy schools require you to fulfill their pre-reqs. That's it. Whether you have a degree or not is secondary.

What do you think would be best in my situation? Attempting all the chemistry courses, which will drop my GPA, or just complete requirements and keep my GPA in the competitive range.

Well, good luck gaming the system... or you could just learn to, you know, study.

Thanks Namishin, I'm sorry to sound ingnorant but I just asked the question to get a helpfull answer. I actually dedicate most of my time studying and working, this does not come as easy to me opposed to others. I just dont know what is better to have, a completion of my requirements and have a nice gpa, or struggling in as a Chem major with a lower GPA.

Don't bother with the chemistry major if you don't love it. As long as you complete pre-reqs, it really doesn't matter what you choose. In fact, choosing something else may make you an interesting applicant in the sea of chem, biochem and biology majors. And just so you know, as a psych major myself, I'm offended that the ONLY reason you seem to be considering it is because it is 'easy.' Anyone interested in psychology, as well as healthcare, should be interested in people - not taking short cuts or the 'easy way' to get what they want.

Besides, if your pre-req GPA is nothing special, it won't matter what your remaining GPA is, you still didn't do that well in what pharmacy schools are most interested in seeing.

Actually it's not as secondary as you may think. Many schools require a degree and the majority will be moving in that direction in the next few years.

Actually it's not as secondary as you may think. Many schools require a degree and the majority will be moving in that direction in the next few years.

Well not the majority of them will be moving towards that direction. The majority of accredited known schools will be headed toward that direction, but all those "candidate" schools that are popping up will take pretty much anyone with a head and money. I hope that last comment didn't offend anyone, but the answer to your question is that it is not required to get a degree, but it really does help.

If i had the opportunity to start over, I would have majored in something other than science, like econ or communication. and then just fulfill the pharmacy requirements. BUT that's just me.

I am no way choosing pyschology because its "easy" I dont think it's an easy course at all. I enjoy pyschology alot, and yes to me it is easier then chemistry. I do enjoy both psychology and chemistry, its just that I can see my GPA being more competitive as an pyschology major opposed as chemistry.

Im not looking for an easy way out, im searching for whats best for me when applying.

I know having a chem degree with be helpfull but im not sure if it will help me in my situation since im a border line c/b student. If I was the student pulling A's and B+'s I would love to pursue as a chemistry major. I just think it will hurt my chances when applying since my Gpa will be lower then most.

Pursuing a difficult major out of interest is a matter of personal development. There comes a time when you have to balance that with the reality. If you are dead set on pharmacy and you want to pursue a future career as a pharmacist then you have to play the game right -- high GPA, time for extra-curriculums, pharmacy experience, and good letters of recommendation. If you feel that your ability to achieve any of the above is compromised due to the rigor of your major then by all means find an easier major. Make your life easier, give yourself ample time and extra opportunities to solidify your GPA and resume.

However, do realize that time spent struggling with class material is not time wasted. Often times class material can come back and haunt you in future courses. I learned this the hard way. I decided to not take calulus in high school and proceeded to a very pretigious undergrad with top ranked engineering program in the nation where I took engineering calculus the first semester. BIG MISTAKE. So, if you decide to opt out of the difficult major (esp chemistry) what makes you think you can handle pharmaceutical chemistry/p-chem/advanced o-chem in pharmacy school? It is better for you to make a sound decision now than realizing that you can't handle it 3 years down the line and tens of thousands of dollars later

Otherwise, pharm school do not care what major you pursue. Finish their pre-reqs and you're good to go. :thumbup:

If i had the opportunity to start over, I would have majored in something other than science, like econ or communication. and then just fulfill the pharmacy requirements. BUT that's just me.

Please explain.

Thanks Jchen. I am kind of going through that now, and wouldent want to go through it agian 3 years down the road like you said. In highschool I didnt not take calc or any AP yet I was an honor student with a 90 gpa. I regret not taking ap courses because I feel like im behind in college, since most kids in my class are fimiliar with science/math classes since they took ap classes. I can handle the classes just not with flying colors, and knowing how competitve pharmacy just makes me want to focus on my GPA.

Im in a tuff spot and I have to make a decision soon before falling more behind then I already am.

Last edited:

Proof?

I don't have a degree and neither do most of my classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please explain.

Thanks Jchen. I am kind of going through that now, and wouldent want to go through it agian 3 years down the road like you said. In highschool I didnt not take calc or any AP yet I was an honor student with a 90 gpa. I regret not taking ap courses because I feel like im behind in college, since most kids in my class are fimiliar with science/math classes since they took ap classes. I can handle the classes just not with flying colors, and knowing how competitve pharmacy just makes me want to focus on my GPA.

Im in a tuff spot and I have to make a decision soon before falling more behind then I already am.

When I was set to pursue my goal of becoming a pharmacist, I thought a science major was needed. I picked biology. As with any science related major, you will be taking way more science classes then that is required to apply to pharmacy school. There were so many units and because I switched major 2 years into college, I felt behind. My last year and a half we packed with 3-4 science courses, with at least two being upper division courses. For me, those classes became tougher and tougher as I went into upper division, my GPA dropped and dropped.

A lot of people major in science related majors when they apply to pharmacy school. Why not think outside the box and apply with a different major to set yourself apart from everyone else? Just a thought.

I personally was a Spanish major (no I did not grow up speaking Spanish) with a chemistry/biology minor and I have been accepted. However I do agree with others that a solid science foundation is important and will only make life easier at pharmacy school.
I feel like this actually set me apart in some aspects, most interviewers seemed impressed, however I also experienced the other aspect of that and was asked why "Spanish" not Chemistry or Biology. For that particular interviewer I felt like I had to prove to them that I could handle the "hard" classes. If you do choose to take this route just be prepared for that scenario, not that it will happen, but it may.

jchen is spot on about the difficulty later on. If it's difficult now and you make no attempts to overcome it, then how will you get through pharamcy school without stressing out? In that situation, there is no alternative curriculum.

Last edited:
Proof?

I don't have a degree and neither do most of my classmates.

I said its heading in that direction. Not that its there already.

By next year 3 of the 5 schools I applied to will formally require a 4 year degree prior to admission.

And I chose to get a degree in Business Admin rather than a science. Figured it would be more useful in the long run.

I agree with both sides of the arguments. Getting a degree different than the usual can be something that schools may like. However, those classes that you take may or may not encompass materials that will be taught in pharm schools (especially if your degree isn't in law or the sciences).

You can always just do another major than chem but take extra science classes other than the pre-reqs to really get yourself acquainted with the material.

I'm a biology and ethnic studies double major and it's definitely an interesting experience. I'm taking p-chem for the hell of it and it's more fun than expected! Haha, you might actually like it if you try it!

So far, you've only been taking the beginning pre-req courses and feel that your GPA will lower if you take more science classes that you listed, but most of them are pre-reqs! You might bring up your GPA if you go into psych, but what about the pre-reqs that you still need to take anyway?

Gen Chem is a walk in the park put in line with Pharmacy School curriculum. Maybe, reconsider career? You could get a great job as a psychologist. I'm with people who say you have to love science to be in P. School.

You get a C+ in Generalololololol chem 1, want to change majors to sidestep a decrease in GPA, and then go to pharmacy school as a psych major? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You know you have to take this test called the PCAT. And this test has chemistry on it. Good luck. You will need it.

A change of major to psych might save your overall GPA, but your prereq GPA will still be fairly low if you keep pulling Cs/Bs. An overall 3.5 GPA is not impressive if your prereq GPA is a 2.5. Something to keep in mind...

Yeah, yeah, I know some schools require a degree. Touro in NYC was the first school I heard that has that. I was planning to apply there too. :rolleyes:

Psychology isn't as easy a degree as you make it sound. Most schools have transitioned into a more biological approach. Besides, you have to analyze research, write lengthy papers, do presentations, work in groups, and read, read, read. The exams are not necessarily easy once you get into upper divison. Many programs encourage students to be part of a research lab. In research methods, most schools require students to conduct their own experiment. My program was rather challenging and I am glad I majored in psych because I learned A LOT. I learned a lot about pharmacology and neuroanatomy, too. I also learned a lot about how to related to people in a healthcare setting (read: cultural competence). It will definitely help me in the long run. Psychology is going to change into biopsychology/neuroscience. A job as a psychologist does not have a good job outlook. Might as well go into counseling or social work if you want "the easy way out".

Just my two cents.

A change of major to psych might save your overall GPA, but your prereq GPA will still be fairly low if you keep pulling Cs/Bs. An overall 3.5 GPA is not impressive if your prereq GPA is a 2.5. Something to keep in mind...

This.

I would think most schools weigh your pre-req GPA more heavily than your overall GPA. The point of the pre-reqs is to assess your ability to have a basic understanding of pharmacy knowledge. They are pre-requisites. It's only going to get harder and much more complex when you are actually in pharmacy school. I say, do what you want and don't give up once you set your goal. But keep in mind, just making it by with the pre-reqs is not the challenge. It's the easy part.

I said its heading in that direction. Not that its there already.

By next year 3 of the 5 schools I applied to will formally require a 4 year degree prior to admission.

And I chose to get a degree in Business Admin rather than a science. Figured it would be more useful in the long run.

Ah, well I don't think the type of degree you got really matters in the end....at least you got one that you can use!

But these schools are probably doing that to weed out the immaturity that occurs with not having a degree as opposed to not having one, the education is probably secondary. I only say that because I had a classmate who got a degree in biology and got accepted to law school plus I have a fraternity brother that's on P4 rotations who got a bachelors in political science. Not saying that their education is subpar but people generally don't associate biology majors with law school and political science majors with pharmacy school.

Thanks guys! I see what you all are saying about why not take them now if there must classes later on which makes sense. I think I might also look into bio major, since pretty much every biology required class for a degree are requirements for Pharm School as well.

Biology majors are a popular applicaint to Pharm School correct?

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I see what you all are saying about why not take them now if there must classes later on which makes sense. I think I might also look into bio major, since pretty much every biology required class for a degreeare requirements for Pharm School as well.

Biology majors are a popular applicaint to Pharm School correct?

Depends on who you talk to. My universities pharmacy school is spread out like this with respect to bachelors degrees

• P4 - Chemistry
  • P3 - Chemistry
  • P2 - Biology
  • P1 - Medical Technology
although the chemistry majors tend to do better in pharmacology/med chem classes...

Ah, well I don't think the type of degree you got really matters in the end....at least you got one that you can use!

But these schools are probably doing that to weed out the immaturity that occurs with not having a degree as opposed to not having one, the education is probably secondary. I only say that because I had a classmate who got a degree in biology and got accepted to law school plus I have a fraternity brother that's on P4 rotations who got a bachelors in political science. Not saying that their education is subpar but people generally don't associate biology majors with law school and political science majors with pharmacy school.

It depends on a lot of things, I know someone who is a P3 who got a BA in Latin.

Those who get in after 3 years usually have a have a stellar GPA and good for them. They earned it.

But it really doesn't matter what you earn a degree in. I have been told by several schools that if your science GPA is seriously lacking compared to your non-science major GPA that they question if you will be able to keep up with the material in pharmacy school.

That being said, all upper level courses in a major are harder. Upper level Psych vs Chem courses could be said to be of the same difficulty depending on the person. I know a lot of science people who struggle in my business classes because you cannot be strictly analytical in your work.

Stick with the Chem for now. You've just finished Gen Chem I, so you haven't even really gotten to the interesting stuff yet. You don't want to look back on your life 20 years from now and regret you took the easy route rather than challenging yourself.

If you do chose this route, but very careful on how you relay your decision to the adcom committee. They are generally smart and can tell when you make a move in majors for that decision. If they have that impression from you... well you've got yourself an uphill climb now.

You get a C+ in Generalololololol chem 1, want to change majors to sidestep a decrease in GPA, and then go to pharmacy school as a psych major? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You know you have to take this test called the PCAT. And this test has chemistry on it. Good luck. You will need it.

You're making it seems as if all schools are the same. She/he may have received a C+ in General Chemistry because there were only three exams and she/he bombed one of it. Personally, my boyfriend got C+ in both General Chemistry I and II and ended up getting a 94% on the Chemistry section on the PCAT. It really depends on the class/teacher/person. We're supposed to help each other out, not trying to make fun of them.

ScruffySecond.jpg

I "gamed" the system with a Psych major.

I still took the hard pre-req courses, but I didn't have to compete for A's in harder upper div classes. Also, it's a lot easier to get an A in ochem when I'm taking 3-4 "easier" classes with topics I enjoyed in all types of psychology (sports, abnormal, etc.).

Pick a major you would enjoy; that's my advice.

I know a ton of people who had parents that forced them to do bio or thought it was the only way to be pre-med or pre-pharm; they didn't do too well..

I must admit though that in physio (I'll be fine 2nd year when everything is new vs. review), I feel like my weak background in physio makes me underperform. Even then, that's only one class, and I am doing well in my other classes.

Last edited:
Just my opinion... having a science degree (taking upper-level sciences) will prepare you for the rigors of pharmacy school. Psych and biology are not that easy, but if you simply don't like chemistry I don't see why it would be disastrous to earn an BS in one of those.

Also there might be many students who are currently in pharmacy school doing well without a degree, but I really think if you want to attend a prestigious school within the next few years it will be highly recommended. At my interview the assistant dean told us that nearly every student invited to interview has a degree (or will obtain one before matriculation). There were about 20 of us there and we all had degrees or were nearly finished with them. Also... many schools do in fact recalculate your GPA to include only their specific pre-req requirements, so you still must do well in the biology/chemistry courses, but I do agree it is must easier to do this when your other classes are "easier".

Just my opinion... having a science degree (taking upper-level sciences) will prepare you for the rigors of pharmacy school. Psych and biology are not that easy, but if you simply don't like chemistry I don't see why it would be disastrous to earn an BS in one of those.
i agree!! i was told that i should get a degree in chemistry because it was the only way to get into pharmacy school but i'm not a big fan of chem...but i love biology so i am graduating with a bio degree!!! i feel that all my upper level bio courses have prepared me well.

Just to elaborate on what others are saying, no you don't need to major in chemistry. I am a bio major but just make sure that you have all your pre-reqs completed though.

I guess I "gamed" the system 5 yrs. ago too.

No one even said two words about my Letters and Science degrees and I'm starting school this fall, so I wouldn't fret too much about what people "think" of your degree choice.

As long as you know what you're doing and have the study habits to overcome any lack of natural talent in the subject matter you'll be fine.

You're making it seems as if all schools are the same. She/he may have received a C+ in General Chemistry because there were only three exams and she/he bombed one of it. Personally, my boyfriend got C+ in both General Chemistry I and II and ended up getting a 94% on the Chemistry section on the PCAT. It really depends on the class/teacher/person. We're supposed to help each other out, not trying to make fun of them.
I slept through most of my gen chem 1/2 and orgo 1/2 lectures. Always crammed the night before exams, got A's in each course, and a 95 on the chem part of the PCAT.

Do I want someone that can BARELY do general chemistry in my pharmacy class? Not really.

I would think most schools weigh your pre-req GPA more heavily than your overall GPA. The point of the pre-reqs is to assess your ability to have a basic understanding of pharmacy knowledge. They are pre-requisites. It's only going to get harder and much more complex when you are actually in pharmacy school. I say, do what you want and don't give up once you set your goal. But keep in mind, just making it by with the pre-reqs is not the challenge. It's the easy part.

and THIS! 100% agree.

On another note, my chem degree left A LOT of pharmacy school pre-reqs unfulfilled and I had to go out of my way to take classes such as.....off the top of my head.... bio 2, genetics, the anatomy sequence, public speaking, stat, sociology, etc........

I think a Bio major would be more appropriate as a "pre-pharmacy" major

What do you think would be best in my situation? Attempting all the chemistry courses, which will drop my GPA, or just complete requirements and keep my GPA in the competitive range.

In my opinion, i think you should pick a major that can be used after you graduate if the pharmacy path does not work out. I think if you change your major to improve your overall GPA and you still struggle in pre-req courses, i dont increasing your overall GPA will make much of a difference. Schools only look at the classes that they require and pretty much focus on your science GPA. Good luck in your classes.

Hey what's going on guys? I'm currently a sophomore, first year science student and highly interested in pursuing in Pharmacy. I competed first semester chemistry with a C+, (must have just missed a B, I love how teachers don't answer emails after final exams smh but back on topic), this semester on track to get a B/B+. Also In calculus 1 right now I received a C on my first exam but it seems to getting easier as the course goes on. Besides the chemistry/math courses my GPA was like a 3.7, currently is a 3.5 and I have a long way to go as a chemistry major.

Now my dilemma as a chemistry major I am obligated to take Calc 1-2, General 1-2,Organic 1-2, Analytical chem, Physical chem, Bio Chem, and I believe Physics. Now taking all of these course my GPA will drop & I will struggle to receive a B in these further courses. Besides all the chemistry requirements I will also have to take A/P etc for requirements for Pharmacy school.

I was thinking about dropping chemistry as a major, finishing up all the requirements for Pharm School and majoring in Pysc since I could keep my GPA up with Pysc Classes.

How would pharmacy schools observe my transcript if I just had their required classes. (Basically omitting Calc II, Physical Chem, Analytical Chem,and possibly Bio Chem), and a major in Psycpretty good GPA?

If I keep my major (chemistry) my next semester will at least Consist of the following sciences:
Analytical Chem or A/P (conflicting schedules)
Orgo + Lab
Physics+ Lab

Some advice? Thanks For Your Time.

In my opinion, you really do not have to be a chemistry major. From what you said, it seems you are not planning to get a degree before going to Pharmacy School. Well you don't have to. I was a chemistry major in my freshman year, I actually loved it but because I was not planning to get a degree and wasn't interested in courses not relevant to my pre requisites, so I had to change my major cos the department wont allow me to pick random classes. This did not affect me in any way because I have been accepted into Pharmacy School for next fall. I was able to complete the pre requisites in 2 years because I changed my major from chemistry.
Just stay focused with whatever you do, get your good grades, get involved in extra curriculars, know your professors and prepare well for the PCAT. I believe you should be fine.
Wish you the best.

I wanted to thank everyone for their support. Im on break now, when I get back into school Ill meet with my current advisor and most likely switch to a bio major and minor in pyschology for the time being. Ill see how that plays out.

Still open to read other's views.

lol I felt like I was being trolled too..

psh 1/2 of my Chem grades are C+s, and I was a Communications major. Yet, I got into nearly every school I applied to. I say do whatever you feel like.