Chemistry of Cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our school is offering a legitimate, upper level chemistry courses called Chemistry of Cooking. Do you think adcoms will be insulted if I take it?

Members don't see this ad.

Our school is offering a legitimate, upper level chemistry courses called Chemistry of Cooking. Do you think adcoms will be insulted if I take it?

If nothing else, it may get you past some screens/cutoffs. I'd take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, sounds awesome. Is there lab? haha

It literally is about learning in depth chemistry of cooking lol. I was going to take Medicinal chemistry but since they dont offer it next spring I m gonna take whatever upper class chem I can find that wont kill me.

This class was offered at my undergrad as well. A lot of people thought it was going to be some derivative of Foods or Family and Consumer Science of education past. It was actually taught by Biochemistry PhD faculty and was pretty difficult lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is the detail:
Chemistry as a discipline has its roots very early among the natural sciences. The ability to understand, manipulate and control substances in the environment is the central key to humankind's flexible adaptation to surroundings otherwise hostile to human life. Cooking is a subset of that science which facilitates utilization of nutrients in foods and allows for preservation for food for longer periods. Additionally, cooking is a fun, and social activity. When you're cooking, you're a chemist! Every time you follow or modify a recipe you are experimenting with acids and bases, emulsions and suspensions, gels and foams. In your kitchen you denature proteins, crystallize compounds, react enzymes with substrates, and nurture desired microbial life while suppressing harmful microbes. And unlike in a laboratory, you can eat your experiments to verify your hypotheses.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who loves to cook, I wouldn't, and frankly, can't understand your mindset as to why an adcom member would look down on any single course.

It's a hell of a lot more practical than any of your other chem courses

Wow, sounds awesome. Is there lab? haha

I took a similar class and yes, lab in undergrad and it was a fabulous class! Interesting, fun, and as @Roxas noted, exceedingly useful. Prepare to be asked about it (most likely in a positive way) in your interviews. It may not be as easy as you assume, though compared to other upper division science classes, it'll likely be easier than most.

Ok, it turns out it's taught in GERMANY?
What the actual *@&$(%&@?!

As someone who loves to cook, I wouldn't, and frankly, can't understand your mindset as to why an adcom member would look down on any single course.

Well, I know people who are like "Oh, this kid thinks he can get way from taking COOKING class?". So...there, some snobby people might really look down a cooking class. I like cooking too. Just today i made poached egg in marinara

The organic chemistry behind cooking/other applications such as gasoline/ production of PVC is way more complex than first and second year organic chemistry.

My heart is broken.

Not at all. It demonstrates that you have interests beyond just satisfying the basic requirements. It also puts your mind into the mode that you need to learn more and do more than just the minimum.

You will also enjoy a lot of the chemistry involved and perhaps your instructor will spend some time explaining why there are Proposition 65 warnings on coffee sold in California.