Chemistry or Microbiology for pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtMot425

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a B in my intro to chem class and I know I could get those grades in other chem classes. Im good at math. I got A's and B's in math, mainly algebra. I really like microbiology but I took in the intro class and got a C. Should I follow my interest and get a degree in micro or go for what is easy for me and get a degree in chemistry? By the way, I want to be an internist or family practice.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a B in my intro to chem class and I know I could get those grades in other chem classes. Im good at math. I got A's and B's in math, mainly algebra. I really like microbiology but I took in the intro class and got a C. Should I follow my interest and get a degree in micro or go for what is easy for me and get a degree in chemistry? By the way, I want to be an internist or family practice.
Follow your interests and learn a better study pattern.

I'm the opposite of you, I went micro but wish I had gone chemistry or biochemistry. So I strongly advise you to follow your interests, you'll be far happier during college, imo.

Go the most enjoyable route, and get all A's from here on out. Or at least shoot for all A's.

Members don't see this ad :)
80% of diseases are caused by microorganisms. I would go with microbiology. there's a lot to learn but eventually you'll learn it med school. do u like chem enough to do it for however many yrs u have left?

I would not mind doing chemistry to get in to medical school. I would be able to get better grades in chemistry than I would in microbiology. It would help though if I got a degree in microbiology. thanks

You could just take a normal Bio degree and take Microbio+Biochem electives.

I would not mind doing chemistry to get in to medical school. I would be able to get better grades in chemistry than I would in microbiology. It would help though if I got a degree in microbiology. thanks

Stick with what you're good at. If you can get a higher GPA and enjoy studying chem then go with chem... I was in the same position. I couldn't decide if I wanted to do biochem or microbiology. I decided to go with micro because it had less math but I really wish I stayed a chem major at times (and if you end up not going to med school it's good to have an undergrad in something you like as a backup plan...just sayin')

Get a minor in biology or take some upper level bio electives like genetics and immuno. It'll help

I'm all for doing what you love learning about and what you enjoy. Why not double major?

80% of diseases are caused by microorganisms. I would go with microbiology. there's a lot to learn but eventually you'll learn it med school. do u like chem enough to do it for however many yrs u have left?
interesting....you got a source for that percentage?

Currently, I'm officially declared as a Biology major, but I don't care to take any Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and upper-division Botany courses, although it would only amount to two courses total. However, Mycology, which is under the Botany department, is an elective for Microbiology, which is understandable due to the pathogenic nature of certain fungi, so it would really be just one course, but a Microbiology major would allow me more opportunities to take almost all Microbiology courses my university offers. Also, I always figured I would double (or triple) major when I enrolled in university, so now I am trying to pursue a double major in Chemistry and Microbiology instead of Chemistry and Biology.

Since you are deciding between these two fields, try to contemplate on your abilities and priorities. Even if one field may be easier than the other, would you truly enjoy those classes, especially its upper-division components? For example, some people find language arts and social sciences extremely easy, but quite boring at the same time, so they do not end up enjoying these classes. I personally find it rewarding to challenge myself. If you pursue Microbiology and put in the necessary effort, you might even surprise yourself that you could do well despite your initial suspicions. I feel that with most, if not all subjects, the key to an A is the amount of effort you put into the class. Of course, there will be certain classes that you need not put in any effort at all and still receive an A.

Also, if you want to minimize your school work, try to formulate a 4-year plan (or however many years you're planning to complete your degree) and see which one would allow you more time to conduct research, volunteer, shadow, work, and of course, to have a social life. But if you're interested in double majoring, a 4-year plan would also be necessary.