• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Chemistry Question: Intermolecular Forces

MortellarPreMed

Sep 30, 2012
VA
  1. Pre-Medical
    How do you determine which molecules have stronger intermolecular forces in comparriosn to each other.

For example:

CO2 or OCS

SeO2 or SO2

An explanation as to why which one would have a stronger intermolecular forces would be much appreciated.

matanpucla

May 29, 2012
    1. Pre-Medical
      How do you determine which molecules have stronger intermolecular forces in comparriosn to each other.

For example:

CO2 or OCS

SeO2 or SO2

An explanation as to why which one would have a stronger intermolecular forces would be much appreciated.

in the case of SeO2 v SO2 SeO2 is stronger, because the only difference is the central atom Se vs S, and Se is larger, therefore you get more dispersion.

i think in the case of CO2 v OCS, OCS is stronger because it is more polar. but not quite 100 percent on that one.

MortellarPreMed

Sep 30, 2012
      VA
      1. Pre-Medical
        in the case of SeO2 v SO2 SeO2 is stronger, because the only difference is the central atom Se vs S, and Se is larger, therefore you get more dispersion.

i think in the case of CO2 v OCS, OCS is stronger because it is more polar. but not quite 100 percent on that one.

I know youre right about SeO2 v SO2,why does the size of the atom (Se) make a difference in intermolecular forces?

About the Ads

dsoz

Accepted OHSU C/O 2017
        5+ Year Member
        Apr 8, 2011
        1. Medical Student

CO2 has polar bonds, but a net zero dipole moment because of the vector forces cancel out. Therefore the molecule is non-polar.

OCS is polar because the C=S bond is less polar than the C=O bond, so there is a net polarity to the molecule. This makes it have greater intermolecular forces.

HTH

dsoz

MedPR

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          Dec 1, 2011
          1. Pre-Podiatry

For example:

CO2 or OCS

SeO2 or SO2

You ask your professor or consult your MCAT books.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Both questions can be explained similarly. As someone mentioned, SDN isn't for homework help.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.