chemistry question, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookleft

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In CO2 is the carbon sp or sp2. I think in TPR they say it is sp, but I thought you have to have a triple bond to be sp3 unless the double bond counts twice.

Also what is the difference between the geometery and the shape of a molecule. Does one depend on the number of atoms bonded and the other depend on the number of electorns.

Finally do electron pairs cause the angles to be smaller than predicted without electrons. For example a molecule that has three atoms bonded to it would be trigonal planar and 120 degrees but if it had an electorn pair like NH3 how does this effect the angle.

Thanks, good luck studying

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by lookleft
In CO2 is the carbon sp or sp2. I think in TPR they say it is sp, but I thought you have to have a triple bond to be sp3 unless the double bond counts twice.

sp can be one triple or two double bonds

Also what is the difference between the geometery and the shape of a molecule. Does one depend on the number of atoms bonded and the other depend on the number of electorns.

as per my understanding, they both are same thing

Finally do electron pairs cause the angles to be smaller than predicted without electrons. For example a molecule that has three atoms bonded to it would be trigonal planar and 120 degrees but if it had an electorn pair like NH3 how does this effect the angle.

yes they do ..... and the shape follows the pattern by number of things around the central atom ..... so the angle of NH3 is similar to that of CH4 and not the molecules with 120 geometry (1 lone pair + 3 Hs = 4 things)

Thanks, good luck studying

EPG or Electron Pair Geometry refers to the general configuration. Shape refers to the specific Shape. Some times they are the same, but other times they are different. In CO2 they are the same.

In H20 the EPG is tetrahedral, the shape is bent. It's general configuration is tetrahedral with 109.5 bond angles (actually slightly less) and it's actual shape is bent.

You can also get bent from trigonal planar where the bond angles would be slightly less than 120 degrees.