Chemistry question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E

Eyegirl2007

A random chemistry question...

Since the second law of thermodynamics states that entropy increases, why do chemical molecules seek the lowest state of energy? Isn't that decreased entropy?

This is just something my nerdly brain came up with during my organic chemistry studying this aft.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if I understand this thing either, but maybe what I say will make you understand. IF this actually helps, please explain it to me.

The lowest state of energy is a disordered system (right?). And a decrease in entropy of a system leads to order. Therefore as entropy decreases, the energy state increases.

So as entropy increase, the energy state decresaes. So finally, decreased entropy is not the lowest energy state.

This may be totally wrong.

Originally posted by Eyegirl2007
Since the second law of thermodynamics states that entropy increases, why do chemical molecules seek the lowest state of energy? Isn't that decreased entropy?
You got it, mostly --> Increased entropy = increased disorder = lower state of energy. It costs energy to place things into order, therefore more disorder = lower energy.