Chemistry research or clinical research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugarmouse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was able to come across two great research opportunities.
One is a chemistry research where I synthesize a drug compound that is relatively novel & could lead to lots of great research opportunities (publication and patent)
The other one is a pediatrics research where I perform standard biochemical tests (western blot etc...) and possibly interview patients and contribute to case reports.

Both research projects seem very interesting, and if I had time, I would do both. As a chemistry major, I find the chemistry research to be very interesting, but at the same time, I feel that the pediatrics research is a great learning opportunity for me to learn more about medical field.

I am applying in 2013/2014 cycle, which means that I will have one year of this research experience under my belt. Both are so great and I am not sure which one I should choose. ANy advices would be apprecated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely choose the Chemistry research, especially since it looks promising. Honestly, the clinical research sounds pretty dull. AFAIK, medical schools won't really care either way, as long as you've had some kind of research experience. So choose the one you think will be the most productive and/or the one that interests you the most (which sounds like chemistry research from your post).

Go with the chem one because you find it more interesting. You'll be able to genuinely discuss it with passion when you interview at some school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would personally take the clinical research.

This has been discussed before but I think the general consensuse is that basic science reseearch will allow for a much more independent role.

At this point I don't think it matters whether you do basic/translational/clinical. I would pick the one with the most promising mentor who will teach you about the process of scientific investigation and publication. That can make all the difference in the world.

If you are more interested in the chem research, do the chem research.

Shadow and volunteer to get a feel for the medical field.

Choose the one that has a good track record with undergraduate students.