chemistry retake question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waggles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Freshman year I received a C- in general chemistry II (I go to a school on the quarter system so I have already taken III).

I did not think much of this as I passed the class and have gone on to do better in other science courses. However, I've seen on quite a few admissions pages that a "C" or better is required. I plan on applying to schools this summer and was wondering if schools would reject me at the initial screening because of my C-, or if I would just need to retake the course prior to matriculation. Or, are schools pretty lenient on the minimum grade of "C-" policy?

I'm going to try and retake the course during spring quarter. However, the class is full and there's no guarantees to get a spot. Finally, my school is switching to semesters this summer and therefore would I retake chemI or chemII or would it be better to try and find some sort of online program to retake it?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all-

Freshman year I received a C- in general chemistry II (I go to a school on the quarter system so I have already taken III).

I did not think much of this as I passed the class and have gone on to do better in other science courses. However, I've seen on quite a few admissions pages that a "C" or better is required. I plan on applying to schools this summer and was wondering if schools would reject me at the initial screening because of my C-, or if I would just need to retake the course prior to matriculation. Or, are schools pretty lenient on the minimum grade of "C-" policy?

I'm going to try and retake the course during spring quarter. However, the class is full and there's no guarantees to get a spot. Finally, my school is switching to semesters this summer and therefore would I retake chemI or chemII or would it be better to try and find some sort of online program to retake it?

Thanks for any advice!

If your GPA is already good -move on. You have to finish your pre-reqs before matriculation. If you take the MCAT and do well, then applying before retaking it is fine, but make sure to retake it before you matriculate to medical school or they will rescind your acceptance.