Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speter33

S.D.N.'s Captain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning classes for next semester. Unfortunatelly Biochem I isn't offered in spring, only Biochem II. Anybody see a benefit in taking any other chem classes? Such as Analytical Chemistry, Advanced Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry. They are really hard in my school so I'm thinking maybe I should just relax more the semester b4 D-school

I'm done with my pre-req, I'm so far only taking anatomy and research next semester

Members don't see this ad.

Speter,

Chemistry is a waste of time. You will see very little chemistry in D-school from what I have been told. The O-chem classes were to prepare us for Biochem a bit, but I think they were just the classes that filtered out the unmotivated. Take as much Bio as you can. I've heard Histology, Biochem, Microbiology and embryology are good ones to get prepped for D-school. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chemistry would be a total waste of your time. I wouldn't take it unless you really enjoy it. Upper level biology will definitely be more helpful to you in dental school.

But if you think you're probably going to get in this year, load up next semester with photography, soccer, sculpture, scuba. Have fun; you won't regret it. My last two semesters of undergrad were some of the funnest times in my life. It wasn't really even school. I only took science classes that interested me and tons of art and music. Sure none of those classes helped me in dental school, but dang they were fun. :D

DO not take PCHEM!!!
Absolute waste of time and the most abstract course I have ever taking. I am struggling with it now, most of the stuff is just over my head (AND I love chemistry). Biochem II is a great course, much better than Biochem I.
Other chem courses are also pretty hard and useless, unless you are going to do Chem research or something.
Take a fun course and enjoy: SOme thing like Yoga, Sex and Expereince , INterviewing stradegies etc

All of you are stating that I should take fun classes. Do I really need to take classes at all? Is there something wrong with being a part time student taking 7 credits and enjoying my life? I hope it won't make me look lazy in front of D-schools

Definitely don't take any of those chem classes! They serve no purpose at all in dental school. I can't even say that organic chemistry served any usefulness in dental school except to weed out the pre-dents who couldn't do well in the class. Take 7 credit hours, there is nothing wrong with that. I think ppl are suggesting to take fun classes b/c you probably won't be considered a full time student at most colleges if you take only 7 credit hours. If you have to take a science, try to go with a bio course like Micro, Path, Physio, Endocrinology, Histo, maybe even Cell Bio - something you might see again in dental school.