chicago area schools/family friendly programs

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DRMCB, Dec 11, 2001.

1. DRMCB

DRMCB Junior Member

I'm encouraged by the feedback that you have given and feel like beginning medical school in 2004, while also continuing to be a good and present father and husband may be more of an option that I thought.
    A couple of additional questions:

1) Given the varying schedules at medical schools, does anyone have any feeling for the schedules (family-friendliness) of Chicago area schools... specifically UIC, Rush, Loyola, Finch, and the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine? These are the schools that I am currently considering.

2) If I attended a school with a schedule of 8-12 (as referenced above), is it realistic to think that I could spend the early afternoon with my son (until maybe 4 or so) and still have time to study? Of course I would have more time on the weekends to study, but I also don't want to be an absentee father and husband. Any thoughts?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LR6SO4

LR6SO4 Senior Member

I am not familiar with the curriculum of any of those schools, however anything with more PBL will give you more 'home' time. Or a school with a good scribe service so you can skip lectures. "Primary Care oriented" schools tend to be more family friendly too. I don't know how well this holds up, a few years ago even Big Ten research based schools were touting their primary care aspects (UMich and Wisconsin come to mind...). This has dwindled now I believe, though I think that UIC-Rockford is real primary care oriented. DO schools may be more 'family friendly' too, although my friends at a DO school spend A LOT more time in lectures than I do (I have PBL). First year their OMM labs were very time consuming too. There are several people in my class with kids and all are doing very well. 2 have chosen to extend their program (basic sciences in 3 years), so if this interests you find a school that is open to it. Some are more so than others. Good Luck!

4. gel1

gel1 Senior Member

I know that UIC has a special "extended" program, where parents are able to stretch the first two years over a period of three years at no additional financial cost. This allows them to spend more time with their families.

5. Keywhite

Keywhite Junior Member

Rush has a program to extend your 2 years over 3 years as well.
    Classes are not mandatory, and the notes for all the classes are given to you on the first day of orientation.
    Yes, people have other lives. Like Thursday night poker games.

6. PimplePopperMD

PimplePopperMD Senior Member

I'm a UIC student, and I rarely went to class the first two years. I rarely went to gross anatomy labs as well. there are some school activities that i would always attend, like reviews, and the like, but the first two years at UIC are pretty much make-your-own schedule. Now the latter two years are a bit different, and if you hope to get home at noon for your third and fourth years, you're going to be in for a shock!

7. DRMCB

DRMCB Junior Member

It sounds like the first two years are somewhat flexible. What should I expect from the 3rd and 4th years? My child will be in K or 1st grade by then, so I wouldn't need to be home by 12 and would be able to put in more hours. At the same time, I still want to be a good/present father and husband. Is it realistic to think that my family will see me occasionally? What is a "typical" schedule... if there is one! What about in residency... I plan on family med. or pediatrics. Thanks.

8. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

9. PimplePopperMD

Oh, Sandflea, no offense taken. Rest assured, *I* am the only person in the country who will graduate with an MD who didn't bother spending countless hours dissecting. It's evident you understand what it takes to be an outstanding clinician. I suggest you screen your future medical caretakers, and those of your family, by the amount of hours they spent dissecting.

DRMCB: Third and fourth years can be very time intensive, depending on the rotation. Third year one has all the required rotations of surgery, peds, internal medicine, psych, OB/GYN, and family med. During surgery, for instance, I was on call (ie sleeping in the hospital) every fourth night, and my usual hours were from 530am-6pm, though sometimes I wouldn't get home until 8 or 9. Note: this is NOT conducive to a family life! But people do it, and keep their families together. And, depending on the program, it's anywhere from 6-12 weeks long.

(fourth year is much less call, many fewer hours, etc... but still not terribly flexible; you really need to adhere to the schedules put forth by the clerkship director)

However, I should qualify my statement on the first two years... depending on the way in which you learn, you have a very flexible schedule. Some people are lecture learners, some people learn best while dissecting, etc... so if you know thyself, you'll have an idea of what the first two years will be like. Regardless, you'll spend quite a bit of time studying.

10. PimplePopperMD

Forgot to mention:

My average week on surgery was anywhere from 85-110 hours/week (no joke!)

Psych was about 40 hours/week

Peds was anywhere from 50-100 h/week (depending on call that week)

11. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

12. rad

rad Member

Many medical students in the first two years skip out on lectures if attendance is not required. You quicly realize that a lot more high-yield studying can be done at home during the day. Then you have the night to do what you want. UIC is a strong med. school and if you look at their match list you will see how succesful the students are at matching into competitive fields and hospitals.

13. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

14. PimplePopperMD

15. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. rad

rad Member

"i have friends in other chicago-area med schools and the majority of students *attend* classes there"

I graduated from a medical school in chicago other than UIC. Attendance was very good during the first semester of the first year and gradually tailed off to the point where there would be the same 15 people at lecture by the second year. Some review sessions and certain classes had better turnout than that.

18. joseph-arveson