Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Chicago Clark St. CBT test takers- anyone?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by woodhorse22, Mar 6, 2007.

1. woodhorse22

woodhorse22 Member

Attending Physician
    Hello,
    Since I am taking the MCAT on April 12, I just want to know how the CBT MCAT testing center was in Chicago that is located on N. Clark Street. For those who took it, how were the screens and how was the stuff? I plan to visit the testing center once before teh actual test day, but any ideas would be appreciated. THanks:)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. woodhorse22

woodhorse22 Member

Attending Physician
    ANY ONE.... there is no one here from Illinois, the home of some of the best medical schools? Wow

4. chicagoguy223

chicagoguy223 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I am taking it at the location as well, but on the 7th of April. What are you planning on doing for parking? I was thinking about taking the "el" there.

5. sehnsucht

Pre-Medical
    i took the GRE at the same place. the site is a prometric site so they administer a lot of other CBT standardized tests. the test rooms are pretty decent - quiet, climate controlled with padded office task chairs. however, I still recommend that you wear a nice sweater just in case the cold airconditioning gets too cold for you. the computers when I took the GRE were a bit antiquated - CRT with trackball mice - but they may have upgraded since then. nevertheless, the screens were of good quality and the text was easy to read.

I am located locally so I plan to head on over to the testing center via the El Train. Plan to arrive at the test center with extra time to spare, the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) is doing a lot of trainstation work these days so there might be delays. If your test is at 8 and you are coming from across town or something, allocate no less than an hour and a half travel time for the trip. Two hours if you can. This may sound like overkill but with the unreliability of the CTA these days, it is better to be safe than sorry. The building has a lot of little restaurants and coffee shops around so you can kill time there if you arrive early.

6. AK1kinase

AK1kinase Newbie

Pre-Medical
    I'm worried about taking the CTA as well. I'm actually contemplating booking a room the night before at a nearby hotel. But all are pretty expensive, $100 and up for the night. I read a review of the site by a med student who took the boards there. It was positive. Said it was quiet and well lit. The thing about the track ball mice is freaking me out. :eek: I really hope they've upgraded to optical mice.

7. dr.kicia

dr.kicia Senior Member

Medical Student
    i took a CBT TOEFL exam over there and it was really good. The rooms are really small, like 6 ppl per room and it was very quiet and nice experiance. The computers were ok and i had no problems reading from the screen. It may have changed some in last 4 years though.
    I sugest to take the CTA or Metra if you can. Finding a parking over there is a real b!*ch unless you want to pay 25 bucks:eek: for 4 hrs of stay in the garage parking on the corner of Wells and Washington.

8. Phoenix.

Phoenix. Emdee Jaydee
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I decided to sign up to take it in the northern suburb location in Deerfield. Just felt that it would be less crowded and less hassle (I'll just stay with family in the burbs the night before). Anyone ever taken a test at that location?

9. League54

Medical Student
    I took it there on Jan 27th, they still have the old round monitors and mine was flashing intermittently, it was kind of annoying. I stayed at the Palmer House Hilton, it was a couple blocks away, within walking distance. I got the room on Hotwire for like 50 bucks (its the 4 star hotel with the pool and fitness center).