Chicago Family Medicine Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There isn't a recent thread on impressions of Chicago area Family Medicine programs. There are many and it seems as though if someone is interested in a Chicago FM residency, they interview at most all of them. Please post your thoughts on any of these programs!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about academic reputation, but the residents I've talked to at Advocate Lutheran, and at Advocate Illinois Masonic all seem to love their program. I don't know about any of the others...

I'm not sure about Academic Programs in Chicago area. I know West Sub has huge OB volume. Also interviewed at MacNeal which seemed pretty good to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any program you are particularly interested in?

I'm a Chicago native, in a Chicago medical school and the only Chicago programs I interviewed at are West Suburban, Northwestern, and will do McNeal.

West Sub: Top choice in Chicago. FQHC's, international experience, research with Northwestern, heavy OB, a ton of fellowships in house (MCH is my interest), academic experience with medical students and work with Loyola University, workload is just right, not too cushy but not Ventura hours. Worse part is no EMR in hospital, not enough peds (on par for FM programs), no trauma (again par for urban FM program).

Northwestern: IMO, will be the best program in 10 years, but as of now, program is too new. They do have interesting aspect in terms of leadership, politics, and research with strong academic affiliation yet community based. Going next year, you would not have the full class and a lot of the doctors at the hospital are not yet resident friendly. You have to be super motivated to be here. More outpatient based compared to West sub, which IMO is easier to pick up if you don't get in residency.

McNeal: Have not yet interviewed and may cancel. Sister program of West Sub, but not as strong, but cushier.

Is there any program you are particularly interested in?

I'm a Chicago native, in a Chicago medical school and the only Chicago programs I interviewed at are West Suburban, Northwestern, and will do McNeal.

West Sub: Top choice in Chicago. FQHC's, international experience, research with Northwestern, heavy OB, a ton of fellowships in house (MCH is my interest), academic experience with medical students and work with Loyola University, workload is just right, not too cushy but not Ventura hours. Worse part is no EMR in hospital, not enough peds (on par for FM programs), no trauma (again par for urban FM program).

Northwestern: IMO, will be the best program in 10 years, but as of now, program is too new. They do have interesting aspect in terms of leadership, politics, and research with strong academic affiliation yet community based. Going next year, you would not have the full class and a lot of the doctors at the hospital are not yet resident friendly. You have to be super motivated to be here. More outpatient based compared to West sub, which IMO is easier to pick up if you don't get in residency.

McNeal: Have not yet interviewed and may cancel. Sister program of West Sub, but not as strong, but cushier.

Thanks for the input! I have actually narrowed my search now between St. Joseph and Illinois Masonic. Do you have the down and dirty comparison of these two programs? Thanks!

Last edited: