Chicago Family Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proffit

ovary mcnugget
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
proffit said:
Hello,

Wondering if anyone could comment on the Chicago FP programs, i.e. which programs are strong? (There are just so many programs in Chicago)

In particular, I'm most curious about programs located in nice areas of downtown Chicago, but am willing to consider the near suburbs. Also, are there any programs with alternative medicine curricula/clinics? Less interested in programs with surgical/OB focus.

i know of a few in chicago area. UIC program, cook county, i know of b/c i intervied there, they were both pretty good, geared towards the underserved. i dont know much abou tthe alternative curricul in chicago, i am sure there are some. there are some good ones, in chicago, but most of the ones in the city are high volume patients, and some geared towards ob, but some they are worth checking out if u want to be in chicago or near the city.

Advocate Lutheran General has an Integrative medicine (complementary/alternative) clinic you can rotate through. it's also the strongest program in chicagoland. christ is also really strong, and you can rotate through the integrative med clinic, but their intern year is 12 months of q4/q3 call. northwestern/st. joseph is decent, and located in a great neighborhood right on the lake, and they said you can do away electives in integrative med if you want. don't waste your time with norhtwestern/enh in glenview: it's too far away, the program is totally disorganized, and a lot of residents have left in the past few years. illinois masonic was kind of in flux this year, so i didn't apply. i know the program director there left to go work at christ (and he's AWESOME).

i wrote a longer, more detailed response earlier, but then my computer froze. hope this helps!

Hi dimples, your response was very informative...Could you provide more details of Christ and NW-glenview FP programs? I am highly considering these in Chicago..Pros and Cons..please.

Also, possibly a little about Cook County-Loyola-Provident and St. Elizabeths?

enigma1800 said:
Hi dimples, your response was very informative...Could you provide more details of Christ and NW-glenview FP programs? I am highly considering these in Chicago..Pros and Cons..please.

Also, possibly a little about Cook County-Loyola-Provident and St. Elizabeths?

cook county and st. elizabeth, doesnt really concentrate on alternative curricula, but instead concentrates on service to the more under served and poorer communities..

So dimples, overall (with alt. med not a factor) how would you rate these programs?

1. UIC-Christ
2. Cook-Loyola-Provident
3. Northwestern-ENH
4. St. Elizabeth

Any thoughts? and why?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

So dimples, overall (with alt. med not a factor) how would you rate these programs?

1. UIC-Christ
2. Cook-Loyola-Provident
3. Northwestern-ENH
4. St. Elizabeth

Any thoughts? and why?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

p.s. How do these 4 compare with UT-houston and UTSW(dallas) for fam. med if you're familiar with them?

same question for bafootchi or any one else who can help.
thanx bafootchi.